How to Choose the Best Etagere Bookcase?
Table of Contents
Top Best Etagere Bookcase Based on Reviews and Price
What is an Etagere Bookcase?
As you plan to buy an étagère bookcase, you should first know about the term Etagere, which is a French term written as étagère, which denotes shelves in English. So, an Etagere bookcase is something that denotes a French set of standing or hanging open shelves. These shelves are generally used for displaying a collection of ornaments or objects. As you look for a bookcase, you can use it for displaying your collection of books.
In the 19th century, the Etagere furniture style started to gain popularity. Typically, these shelves were used in the Victorian home décor for displaying the collection of small things in a home. In general, this style of furniture will have shelves arranged one above the other.
Why You Need an Etagere Bookcase?
Among the many different models of bookcases available in the market, this model is meant to suit almost any type of home décor. Not just decorative purposes, it is widely used for its functional values as well. In most instances, these bookcases will not be of heavy-duty models. The reason is that manufacturers generally use thin frames along with open shelves and a few decorative touches. The touches can be anything like a unique pattern or shelves with some interesting shapes.
Top 10 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Etagere Bookcase
As you plan to buy an étagère bookcase, you will have to consider different factors in your shopping to make sure that the case will rightly meet your requirements:
1. Consider the Material Used in Making the Étagère Bookcase
When talking about the material used, different materials are used by the manufacturers of these cases in the frame and on the shelf itself. So, you should consider both before deciding on the right unit for your home.
Let us gather some details about the different materials used in making the frame for the étagère bookcase:
- Metal frame etagere bookcase will ensure that the frame will stay stronger and attached to the shelf to safeguard it for a longer period.
- Wooden frame etagere bookcase is also a good choice. But, you should clean it then and there to prevent any mold growth
- Plastic frame bookcase is yet another option. But, it will not give a sturdier look to your bookcase. But, it will be attractive from the point of view of visitors to your home.
- Glass frames etagere bookcase should be handled with care. But, they will give a better and attractive look to the shelf.
Apart from the above-mentioned options for frame material, you will also consider the overall material used in the making of the bookcase. Knowing about the options in this regard will help with the selection of the right shelf.
When talking about shelf material, here are the options that you will come across:
- Wood: When the shelf is made out of wood, it is better to avoid placing some watery substances on the shelf. For instance, in the middle of the books, some people think about placing natural plants to enhance the looks. When such a plant is kept, watering becomes essential and in this case, water spills can damage the wood-based shelf.
- Glass: When you choose the Etagere Bookcase made out of this material, you should be careful about handling the shelf. You should carefully place things and remove books from the shelf when it has glass shelves. Of course, nowadays, you can get units with strong glass material that do not break or crack easily.
- Metal: When you choose metal shelves, you should check whether the material is resistant to rust. In general, Etagere Bookcases will weigh less and so you need not have to worry about the weight of the metal shelf.
- Plastic: You will also come across bookcases with plastic shelves. When you choose this material, check whether the shelves are sturdy enough to handle your books.
- Mirrored shelves: As the name implies, mirrored shelves look attractive with mirror-based shelves. But, it should be handled with the utmost care and caution similar to bookcases with glass shelves.
Now, you know about the shelf and frame material used in Etagere Bookcases. Here, you will come across units with doors as well. You might be wondering, where comes the requirement of doors in Etagere Bookcases that are generally open. You are right! But, some cases come with the door only for the final or base one or two shelves. This will help when you wish to place some items other than books, but do not want them to be visible outside.
2. Door Material
Here are some materials in which you will find doors in these cases:
Wood: In general, wood-based shelves will look good and when the doors are made using this material, you should carefully handle them and your hands should not be wet.
Metal: Even, you will come across units with metal doors. The metal doors will help with ensuring durability as compared to wood doors.
Glass: Glass doors will provide visibility to the things stored inside.
3. Consider the Size
When talking about the size of the Etagere Bookcase, you will consider different aspects like overall width, height and depth. You should get the complete measurement of the space in your home that you have reserved for placing the bookcase and should accordingly make your choice. Most people do the mistake of considering only the height and width of the case before buying. Rather, it is better to make sure that the depth is also considered.
4. Consider the Wood Tone
Just in case, you have decided to go for a wood-based Etagere Bookcase, you should not forget to check the tone of the wood. Nowadays, you can find cases with different styles of wood tones that will go well with the other interiors in your home.
5. The Number of Shelves
Of course, this is the most important consideration. You should decide on this based on the number of books you have planned to store/display in the bookcase. These shelves come with different shelf numbers to meet the requirements of different people. So, before buying and even comparing decide on the number of shelves you need.
6. Adjustable Shelves
All books will not be in equal size. Some books will have a higher overall size, while some books will be small. To accommodate all these books, it is better to check whether the Etagere Bookcase has adjustable shelves.
7. Consider the Bookcase Legs
You should remember that even though an Etagere Bookcase will not be that much sturdier in looks, you should make sure that the foot is stronger at least. The legs of the bookcase should be stronger enough and should have bushes in the base to make sure that there will not be any damage to your flooring. Even, you might come across these cases with wheels in the base. In turn, you can easily move the case from one place to another. However, if you choose a shelf with a wheel-base, check whether the wheels have stoppers to prevent the shelf from moving.
8. Is Assembling Required?
Some shelves come as it is and you cannot dismantle it. On the other hand, some of them can be separated into pieces for easy transportation. If you go for this type of Etagere Bookcase, you will have to take care of the assembling yourself. However, some stores make sure that when they deliver the shelf, they do the assembling themselves. If the shelf can be dismantled, it will be easier for you in the future. For instance, when you need some additional space in your room, you can just dismantle the shelf. Even, this facility will help when you are moving to a new home.
9. What is the Etagere Bookcase Overall Weight?
The overall weight of the Etagere Bookcase will decide whether it can be easily carried or not. If the shelf weighs more, at least there should be wheels for easily moving the shelf here and there. If you decide that the shelf should stay in a particular place, you need not have to worry about the weight. Of course, most people do not want to move the shelf frequently. Consider the weight as a point if you are concerned about it.
10. Consider the Height Between the Shelves
You have decided to shop for an Etagere Bookcase to store your books in such a way that you can easily find the book that you intend to read at any point in time. To make sure that books of different sizes can be rightly arranged, it is better to evaluate the height between each shelf. When most shelves come with a uniform height between the shelves, some even have differences.
Reading is a very good habit and it will bring a whole lot of emotional and mental health benefits to you. The more you read, the more you will develop your knowledge of different areas. With the right Etagere Bookcase that you buy considering the factors above, you can also motivate your kids to read. When reading is instilled right from a young age, they will continue to make reading practice to get many benefits in their life.