How to Choose the Best Kid Nightstand?
Table of Contents
Top Best Kids Nightstand Based on Reviews and Price
Why Your Kids Need a Good Nightstand?
Indispensable in the kids’ bedroom, the nightstand, also called the bedside table, must be as aesthetic as practical. It holds and supports everything your kids have to put away to be able to sleep. It also holds items that’ll help them wake up. These could be a table lamp, a small alarm clock, a storybook, their wristwatches, among others.
Although modest in size compared to the rest of the furniture, it occupies an important place in the bedroom. The criteria to take into account when making your choice are much more numerous. These include the various types and styles, dimensions, materials, design, or even practicality. In this guide, we’ll leave you everything towards getting the most suitable nightstand for your kid’s bedroom.
Top 8 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Kids Nightstand
1. Choose a Suitable and Decorative Bedside Table
Some of the most popular types of nightstands for kids are:
With its drawer and shelf, the classic bedside table stands out and blends in with any decor. Made of oak or maple wood, they are simply designed.
The contemporary bedside table goes beyond the practical aspect to become a decorative element in its own right. With or without feet, it is adorned with contemporary materials such as glass, PVC, metal, or solid wood.
Perfect when space is limited, the hanging bedside table has no legs. It is fixed directly to the bedside. If it modernizes the bedroom, it offers less storage space than the other models.
This bedside table can be square or rectangular and offers plenty of storage space. Massive in appearance, pay attention to its dimensions. It must match those of the bedroom so as not to visually clutter up space.
Many pieces of kids or everyday furniture and objects can be diverted into a kid’s bedside table. These can be a stool, small armchair, stepladder, small table, wooden block, crate, suitcase, etc. Ideas abound!
2. Choosing the Right Color
- Black Kids Nightstand: You can choose a black nightstand to counterbalance this piece of furniture with other lighter elements in the room.
- White Kids Nightstand: A white table, on the other hand, can perfectly be chosen in an interior with a light and bright decor. It can also match well with Scandinavian or vintage decor.
- Gray Kids Nightstand: Finally, the gray bedside table is the last of the three favorite colors of buyers. It is also the most versatile.
If you want a little more fantasy in the room, choose furniture in blue, beige or even red.
3. Bedside Table Materials: Between Aesthetics and Maintenance
There are various types of nightstands for kids. If the bedside table for children allows all the fantasies and colors, its material must be resistant. It must also be easy to maintain. Also, the material will determine its stability.
So choose according to your tastes and your kids’, the decoration of the room, as well as their maintenance constraints.
- Glass bedside table: The glass gives a modern and bright look to the nightstand. But it remains fragile and sensitive to scratches. This material also attracts dust and easily shows scratches. The glass nightstand must, therefore, be cleaned frequently. Finally, for durability and safety reasons for your kids, choose tempered glass.
- Wooden bedside table: Wood, (whether solid or not, exotic or not) is timeless and gives a natural elegance to the bedside table. It can, however, easily mark and must be regularly maintained using a damp cloth, wax, or a specific wood product.
- Metal bedside table: Metal looks great in contemporary bedside tables as to industrial or retro models. You can find them in steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and wrought iron. Maintenance-wise, depending on the effect of the metal, it can be very simple or as advanced as for glass. If you will not like to have too regular maintenance, opt for a brushed effect. The dust on them can go unnoticed for weeks.
- Rattan bedside table: Rattan gives an exotic touch to the bedside table. Resistant and natural, it allows various forms and goes well with a wooden bed frame. Regarding maintenance, nothing could be simpler: a sponge or a damp cloth is sufficient for regular cleaning. You can also maintain it with linseed oil mixed in water.
- Bamboo bedside table: Bamboo is both ecological and trendy. The bamboo bedside table is also resistant and easy to maintain.
- PVC nightstand: Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) goes well in nightstands of all colors, patterns, finishes, and shapes. It also comes at a moderate price. It is a material commonly used for night tables in children’s bedrooms. Its maintenance is quite easy. But it is prone to scratches, a real weak point of this material.
4. What’s the Available Space?
It’s a fact that the kids’ bedrooms aren’t as spacious as their parents’. So, you have to consider the available space before going all out to get your kids’ nightstands. Some models (such as round bedside tables, for example), due to their shapes, take up a little more space. Make sure they fit perfectly into the room decor without contrasting on other furniture. Depending on the size of the bedroom, your choices in terms of size will be more or less limited.
If your kids have a really small room that may not accommodate a standing nightstand, don’t despair. Fashion is on hanging models. Installed like shelves, they come in an elegant style.
Above all, they allow you to save considerable space. Despite what you might think, some are really well equipped in terms of storage space.
5. What Dimensions Should the Bedside Table Have?
We cannot tell you if there are ideal dimensions for the kids’ room. There are lots of kids nightstands with the same dimensions as the regular or adult bedroom nightstands. However, you must, above all make sure that you have the necessary space.
A common-sense rule is that the height of the bedside table does not exceed that of the bed with its mattress. Thus, your kid will have no trouble grabbing an object in complete darkness.
Width and Depth
The width and depth of the bedside table depend on what you want placed on or stored in there. The dimensions of the bed are also a determining factor. So, choose a small table to accompany a single bed. Beyond this detail, it is important to opt for a width that will not make the table appear too massive compared to the bedding itself. Kids’ beds usually have dimensions between 35-38 x 75 inches (for twin beds).
There are also 52-55 inches x 75-80 inches for double beds, and 60 x 80 inches for queen size on which two kids can co-sleep. So you will not need a large nightstand for these. Only choose large rectangular nightstands only if you want to place it around a 75 x 80 inches king bed on which multiple kids use.
6. What Style Should You Choose?
Today, you have the possibility of finding a multitude of bedside tables in different styles and colors. The material you choose will depend mainly on your tastes and the style you want to give to your room. If you have a rather classic piece, you can opt for a table in natural wood, with clean lines. For a slightly more contemporary look, you can fall back on lacquered or ultra-shiny wood. Why not opt for a two-tone wooden bedside table, for example, for a Scandinavian style?
On the other hand, solid wood will recall the Baroque era with great elegance. Choose models with carved details and cornices. You can also choose to have a more rustic look with white wood, antiqued legs, handles, and ornate locks.
In any case, what is certain is that wood, whether oak, raw, solid or painted, is ultra-resistant. It is also a timeless and elegant material in all interiors. And these are examples of decor your beautiful ones deserve!
7. Choice of Storage: Between Space and Practicality
Perhaps you will need a drawer to store your kid’s wears and toys. In general, you can find night tables equipped with one to three drawers. Some have niches or doors. Sometimes, even all three at the same time.
Again, the choice all depends on the users’ needs and habits. With the simple open shelf, this can keep the bedside lamp, the alarm clock and maybe a small flower vase. The closed shelves, with one or more drawers, can shelter and hold the kids’ medicines, their books, and glasses.
Note: A bedside table made up of a simple open-top may, for example, create an impression of space in the bedroom. However, it can, on the contrary, create a feeling of congestion if too much bric-a-brac is visible.
8. The Form to Choose: Rectangular or Square
The little rectangular and square bedside tables are the most popular. But today there are a lot of other possibilities: round, suspended, trapezoidal, half-moons, etc. There is something for everyone. It all depends on the use you want to make of it. If it is more of a decorative element than an extra storage space, then you can opt for completely atypical and modern models. The trendy trick that works is by matching it with the kid’s dresser.
Whichever choice is made, remember that your little one should be able to reach out to an alarm clock, the bedside lamp, etc. at any time of the night.
To choose the right nightstand for your kid’s room, the ideal is to opt for a very resistant model. You can choose models with colored or shiny wood. This will add a touch of fun to your little one’s room. Finally, there are a large number of different possibilities.
It is up to you to determine the style you want to adopt by taking inspiration from different decorative ideas. Away from the decorative benefits, the functionality is also important. Ask yourself if you want a model that will only support your alarm clock or on the contrary shelter the many objects that your kids may have around during sleep time.
Do they need a specific place to hold their objects and toys? It’s up to you to see what they need in terms of storage and whether you’ll need a nightstand with drawers.
The space available in the bedroom determines not only the dimensions of the bedside table but also the model is chosen. For a small and already cluttered bedroom, there are choices between an aerial suspended nightstand or a rustic wooden box. Note that, for maximum space savings, some bed models even have integrated bedside tables.