How to Choose the Best Leather Sofa Set for Living Room?
Table of Contents
Top Best Leather Sofa Sets Based on Reviews and Price
Why You Need a Good Living Room Leather Sofa Set?
The sofa is the centerpiece of the living room! Choosing a leather sofa set means setting the tone for your interior decoration, whatever the style. Chic and with an imposing charm, leather materials have the particularity of improving over time, having a softer appearance and a more pleasant touch.
The leather sofa is an ideal choice for all types of interiors. Are you seduced by the idea of a leather sofa set in your living room? We give you the keys to choosing the right type, color, and style of the perfect leather furniture set for your living room interior.
Top 8 Factors to Consider Before Choosing a Leather Sofa Set
1. Traditional, Sectional, or Recliner Sofa Set?
Before going to the showroom or the online store, you have to sort out the style you want for your leather furniture set.
The traditional type of leather set for the living room is the most common on the market. Although their leather finishes and designs may vary, they are often simple in style. Depending on the size of the living room, you can choose a single or two one-seater(s). If two, they can be side by side. Opposite these can be a loveseat or two-seater. And facing the TV stand can be a straight three-seater sofa.
Sectional leather sofa sets are multiple pieces of individual sofas arranged to make a single form. Also called modular sets, they are customizable, comfortable and well-cushioned. They may include a corner sofa(s) or a convertible for night rest. They are ideal for small, medium and large-sized living rooms.
Being a modular set, you can choose to add new sections of furniture as your family grows. Sectional leather sofa sets are often more expensive than the traditional types. You may choose to have an ottoman included in the set. This will give the furniture more completeness, hence, eliminating the need for a center or coffee table.
The recliner set is another type of furniture set found in a modern living room. Although it’s also available in other materials, the recliner sets are most available in leather. As they are designed with luxury in mind, leather, being a noble material, even gives it more value.
For the recliner sets, the number of pieces and seats may be the same as the traditional types. However, the backrests are designed to recline back for a relaxing sitting posture. Versatile, the headrests of some sets are even designed to be adjustable. This means you can adjust them to become a piece of traditional furniture or recline them as you see fit.
Also, the recliners usually have adjustable leg rests for a more comfortable experience for the users. You’ll find models that can offer massages and those who have storage compartments. It’s not surprising they are the most expensive types of a leather sofa set.
2. Color and Style: Which Leather Sofa Set to Choose?
Center of the world at home, it is especially essential to choose the right color of your leather set. This will help determine the atmosphere of your interior. And if you already have furniture with a well-marked style, your leather sofa will create a pleasant whole if the color and style are matched. The color of the leather furniture allows you to define the ambiance of the living room or office. It must, therefore, adapt to the overall decoration (modern, vintage, etc.) for a harmonious and pleasant look.
You should know that the leather sofa set is a long-term investment. It will sit in the living room or the office for several years. It is therefore advisable to choose a neutral color that will not go out of fashion after a few months. Indeed, each season, a trendy color appears and disappears. It would be a shame to invest in a colorful sofa set that will go out of fashion in the months that follow. Safe values are white, gray, black and chocolate. These four shades are timeless!
- White leather sofa: The white leather sofa set brings a refined and elegant touch to the living room. It is ideal for a Scandinavians style decoration.
- Brown or chocolate leather sofa: The chocolate leather sofa provides a touch of sobriety and conviviality to an interior. It goes with different shades: beige, taupe, brown and linen. Chocolate is perfect for a cozy and serene interior.
- Gray leather sofa: The gray leather sofa has the advantage of marrying all styles of interior design (modern, Scandinavian, feng shui, etc.). In addition, gray is available in a wide palette to adapt to needs.
- Colored styles sofa: Nothing prevents you from choosing a colored leather sofa set. Would you like to create a unique atmosphere and your image? In a loft-style living room, for example, the red Chesterfield leather sofa set can be accompanied by wooden and metal furniture for a perfect combination! And here’s a word of advice. If you are concerned about the state of your leather color in the years to come, choose a timeless color like black or taupe.
3. How Many Pieces Of Furniture?
As for the sectional sets, there are no fast rules on the number of pieces you can have. The pieces can even be up to 4, as they can be small individual one-piece sofas, complemented by corner sofas. However, for conventional living room sets, you can have between 2 to 4 pieces, depending on the living room size.
- 2-piece leather sofa set: Ideal for small living rooms, the 2-piece leather set often includes a loveseat and a three-seater. They may or may not come with a central ottoman.
- 3-piece leather sofa set: The three-piece set is suitable for a medium-sized or large living room. For traditional types, they include all types of seats – one-seater, two-seater, and three-seater, all taking different spaces opposite the TV set. However, if you choose to have a sectional set, you can have a three-seater with a right or left corner sofa and a single arm or armless loveseat (whether convertible or not).
- 4-piece leather sofa set: The 4 pieces can be a combination of a three-seater, a loveseat and two one-seaters in traditional styles. The set may also be a three-piece one, complete with an ottoman. These are great for large living rooms. However, many sectional sofa sets also fall within this category.
4. The Leather Graining: Full, Corrected or Split?
The leather cover of the furniture set must be treated, and that’s what will make it authentic! Split leather, full-grain leather or corrected grain leather; let’s explain everything!
- Split leather: What we call “split leather” is the leather split into two sheets of thick leathers. Thinner and less resistant, if you are looking for sofas with a raw appearance, choose those with split leather.
- Full-grain: For a more noble leather whose appearance and feel will remain authentic, choose full-grain leather. Sofas with full-grain leather coverings are the best as this term means that the leather is genuine, not altered or sanded. Full-grain means the natural texture of the material has been preserved. In other words, what you have is high-quality leather! Of course, this makes the furniture more premium, hence, contributing to a higher price.
- Corrected leather grain: Conversely, the leather with the corrected grain is a sanded leather. It is treated to erase all imperfections. It is a good compromise if you are looking for a quality leather sofa with a smoother appearance.
5. Consider Living Room Space
As is the case with all pieces of furniture, the space available will determine what you buy. So make your measurements before heading out to the showroom. Know that a single one-seater armchair will take an average of 35 inches, a two-seater armchair will consume an average of 60 inches and a three-seater will take an average of 84 inches. Your measurements and summations will tell you how many pieces and/or seats you’ll buy.
6. Calfskin, Cowhide or Buffalo Leather?
As regarding the leather source, you have a choice between calfskin, cowhide and buffalo leathers: each with its own particularity!
If the buffalo leather is grainy and with a wilder look, it is nonetheless the most resistant. The smoother calf leather offers a more pleasant feeling to the touch. Meanwhile, the cowhide is of a semi-thick grain, which contributes to its unique characteristics.
7. The Leather Thickness
The thickness of the leather is also essential for holding your sofa set. The advice is to choose leathers whose thickness is more than 1.3mm for a better hold. Below 1.3mm, the leather may poach and be damaged due to repeated friction. For a more noble leather whose appearance and feel will remain authentic, choose full-grain leather.
8. Leather Sofa Set: The Finishes
In addition to the quality of the leather, the furniture finishes must be taken into account before choosing a particular model. Sofa structure, upholstery, seat density, and suspensions must be carefully studied.
- The structure: Influencing the life of the furniture, the solid wood structure reinforced by chipboard panels is the most suitable. This helps to ensure the solidity of the sofa.
- The padding: The padding will also guarantee comfort. The high resilience polyurethane foams provide excellent support and optimize the life of the sofa.
- Foam density: The density of the foam varies from 30 to 35 kg/m³ for the seat. Depending on the density, the sofa will be softer or firmer. The choice depends above all on the tastes of each user.
- Suspension system: The suspension is available in two types: No-sag springs or elastic straps. The springs are firmer, and the straps are more flexible.
As the leather set is intended for the living room, choose a 2 or 3-piece sofa, if you have a small family. You may choose to make it a 4-piece set if you have a larger family or if you frequently receive visitors.
The sofa set can always include one or two armchairs. For more functionality, you may choose a set complemented by a convertible loveseat. Whether it is used as an extra bed, to watch TV or to share pleasant moments, the use you make of it will also determine the convertible aspect or not of your two-seater leather sofa. However, the leather covering will give it more resistance against dirt accumulation and more ruggedness. To complete it, a 3-seater will be great to have.
Remember, the complete set can be reclining or sectional pieces of furniture. Depending on the layout of your room and where you want to install it, you can choose a set with a corner sofa – left or right.