How to Choose the Best Shoe Storage Cabinet?
Table of Contents
Top Best Shoe Storage Cabinet Based on Reviews and Price
Why You Need a Good Shoes Storage Cabinet?
A quote reads “A woman can carry a bag, but it is the shoe that carries the woman.” Yes, like many other women if you have a great collection of shoes in your home, you should consider buying the best shoe storage cabinet to safeguard the shoes that carry you.
Why Is It Important to Have a Storage Cabinet for Shoes?
You know that we generally store our shoes very close to the entryway in our homes. So, almost our visitors see them at first before even they enter our homes. It means that the way you have organized them can make or break how your guests feel about you. Not just your collection, your family members will also have their own collection of shoes. As you intend to buy the best shoe storage cabinet, you will have to consider different factors in your shopping.
Top 10 Factors to Consider Before Shopping for Shoe Storage Cabinets
1. Consider the Types of Show Cabinets
When you do not select the right type, the storage cabinet can actually mar the looks of your home as against enhancing the beauty. You know that when selecting the right cabinet, you should store it in a place, where your shoes are not exposed to direct sunlight. However, there should be sufficient air circulation to prevent discoloration and mold formation along with other kinds of damage. Here, knowing the types will help you with the selection:
If you wish to gain immediate access to your shoes, open type cabinets are practical options for you. Here is the list of the pros and cons of this type:
- As mentioned earlier, you can gain quick access to the shoes stored in this type
- They are suitable for entryways, where you and your family members can easily store the shoes that you use every day.
- You can store the shoes well ventilated in this type
- They cannot protect your shoes from dust and dirt
- If the shoes are not stored organized, they will spoil the looks of your entryway.
As they are closed, they will keep your shoes out of sight, thereby giving a tidier look to your space.
- Tidy option as you can place your shoes out of sight inside the cabinet.
- They can safeguard your shoes from sunlight and dust.
- As you keep the shoes closed inside these cabinets, there are chances of mold growth
- Lack of air supply to the shoes can affect longevity.
If you own some expensive and delicate shoes, this type of shoe storage cabinet can help you with its following pros:
- As these cabinets come with slatted doors, they bring perfect temperature control to the shoes stored within.
- Provides dark storage space to your shoes when required as you can close the horizontal slats when light is not required.
- Can hide your shoes
- As they are lower in height, you will have to bend to gain access to your shoes. So, this type cannot suite people with back issues.
2. Consider the Capacity of the Cabinet
You should consider the number of pairs to be stored. So, capacity is an essential consideration when deciding on the right shoe storage cabinet. You will come across cabinets with different capacities. Of course, you know that it is better to go for a higher storage capacity than the number of pairs that are presently own. It might help in the future if the number of pairs increases.
For instance, you will find models that can store more than 40 pairs. The other options you will come across are 31-40 pairs, 21-30, 11-20 and even you will find small variants that can store 1-10 pairs of shoes.
3. Consider the Material
Yet another essential consideration is the material used in the making of the shoe storage cabinet.
Nowadays, when it comes to any type of storage cabinet, manufactured wood is widely used. Here are the pros and cons:
- It will rightly meet the specific application requirement like storing shoes here.
- It is available at different thickness levels as it a versatile material.
- It is cost-effective compared to solid wood
- In general, an adhesive is used for connecting the pieces in cabinets made using this material. The adhesive can be toxic in some cases.
- Not suitable for exterior use as water damage can happen
- It should be polished to achieve the desired looks
Solid wood is being used for furniture making for very long now. Solid wood cabinets generally contain wood alone, while manufactured wood cabinets will have other materials like adhesives, resin, fibers, veneers and real wood.
- Value and longevity
- Customization possibilities
- Aesthetically appealing
- Durability and strength
- More chances of bug infestation when not maintained properly
- Chances of warping and cracking
- Chances of moisture damage are more
Plastic cabinets will be easy to handle and they are available in different colors.
- Available in different colors
- Easy to clean and low maintenance requirements
- Water and termite-proof
- Less durability and strength
- Shelves cannot hold much weight
- Less customization option
You might be wondering whether it is really possible to find a shoe storage cabinet made using fabric. Yes, nowadays, fabric-cabinets are available with the following pros:
- Easy to clean and maintain
- When you choose a machine-washable cabinet, you can easily wash the cabinet with removable shelves.
- Available in varied color options
- More chances of fading
- This material can attract sunlight
If you are looking for a modern alternative, you can consider buying metal cabinets with the following pros:
- High resistance to temperature changes
- Can bring a sleek look to your space
- Easy to clean and rarely needs repainting
- Based on the material you choose, there are chances of rusting
- Not water resistant
4. Can the Shelves Bend?
Some storage cabinets are designed as open storage cabinets. However, you can just bend the shelves when you need that the shoes should be hidden inside and not visible outside. Also, in some cabinets, you can remove the shelves. This facility will help if you wish to place some bigger shoes like boots on a shelf.
5. Is Assembling Required?
When you have decided to buy the best shoe storage cabinet online, you should check this out. Should you get the assembling done upon the arrival of the cabinet to your home? If this is the case, you should check whether assembling will be easier. Otherwise, you should check whether you can buy pre-assembled cabinets. This purely relies on your personal preference and requirements.
6. Consider the Dimensions
Many of us know that considering the dimension of any furniture is important before shopping. But, we tend to forget it. So, if you wish to buy the best shoe storage cabinet, you should not forget to know the required dimension. Dimension here includes height, width, length and breadth of the cabinet. The external measurement of the cabinet should go with the space in which you have planned to place the cabinet in your home. Only when it fits the space, it will not be a hindrance to you in the entryway.
7. Should There be Ventilation?
Even when you shop for a closed shoe storage cabinet it does not have to be closed completely. Some cabinets these days come with ventilations in the door and even in the sides to make sure that airflow will happen inside to safeguard your shoes from developing mold.
8. Some Open and Some Closed Shelves
Of course, you and your family members will be using some shoes daily. On the other hand, you will be using some of them occasionally only. So, it is better to consider buying a shoe storage cabinet with some closed and some open shelves. You can store the rarely used ones on the closed shelves, while the open shelves will be useful for the storage of daily shoes.
9. How About the Shoe Storage Cabinet to Place Under the Stairs?
Many of us these days wish to make effective use of the space under the stairs. Even, some of us use this space for leaving our shoes and flip flops. If you are considering this type of placement of your shoe cabinet, you can consider the models that are prepared, particularly for this purpose. You will find that the cabinet will have the external design ideal for storing under the stairs.
10. Do the Shelves Have Holes?
In some instances, there will be a lot of sand attached to the base of our shoes. When you store them with sand on the shelves, it will be hard to clean afterward. To prevent this from happening, some cabinets have shelves with attractively designed holes to make sure that the sand does not stay on the shelves.
Shoes help us a lot. So, taking effective care will help them work longer for us. The right storage is one of the essential things to ensure the longevity of your investment. So, consider buying the best shoe storage cabinet with the tips given above to achieve the best outcome.