How to Choose the Best Wall Hook?
Table of Contents
Top Best Wall Hooks Based on Reviews and Price
Why You Need Good Wall Hooks?
The wall hooks are useful decorative element which are fixed in the entrance hall, laundry room, mudroom, kid’s room or dorm room. Some models can be placed on the doorframe of the door. If your favorite clothes find their place in space-saving furniture, what will you do with your jackets?
The majority can find their place in a dressing room or under the bed, but it’s nice to have your favorite pieces close at hand. This accessory allows you to easily hang your clothes when you get home while trying to change or while trying to air-dry clothes. Not just for clothes, they are also used for hanging garden and workshop tools. Follow our advice to buy your wall coat hook.
Top 7 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Wall Hook
1. Which Types of Hooks are Suitable?
Classic and Multi-purpose Hooks
Although they can be used in a versatile way, these hooks are, depending on their shape, suitable for a particular type of object. There are 3 types of classic hooks:
- Single or double angle hook: Generally tubular, there are lateral, horizontal, T-shaped, sheathed or unsheathed types. This is screwed to the wall support.
- Flat hook: These are simple U-shaped and flat hooks. They are fixed with screws.
- S Hooks: These are hooks you can hang on a bar. They are great for nomadic room style. The storage hooks can be sold in lots. This is particularly the case for those with S designs and those that can be fixed on the wall on perforated panels.
The Specific Hooks
Besides the versatile hooks, which are used to hang anything you want, there are hooks for specific use:
- Tire Hook: With a double, wide bracket and supporting a significant weight, you can fix it to the wall to store snow tires or spare tires.
- Ladder Hook: These are of two square hooks, or available in C designs. They are hooks for industrial or construction jobs. It is screwed according to the desired distance. It holds ladders in height as well as the trestles and all that requires two spaced hooks.
- Folding Hook: As the name suggests, it folds down along the wall when not in use.
- Hose Holder Hook: It can either be double-angled like the tire holder or consist of a fairly wide flat hook to hang on the tap. It can even have a large rounded guide for storing the garden hoses.
There is also the whole range of bike hooks, roof hooks, roller hooks, etc.
2. The Different Types of Fixings for Wall Hooks
There are different fixing methods for multi-purpose storage hooks:
This hook is provided with a thread of screw which allows you to screw it directly in the wall support. Direct screw hooks are mainly suitable for wooden surfaces, provided that they are solid and that the objects are not too heavy.
It is fixed using one or more screws and plugs adapted to the type of wall.
No fixing is required here. Instead, the hook is suspended as needed. As with all fixing systems, you should check the maximum weight that a hook can support.
3. Hooks to Attach to the Wall, Ceiling, or to a Perforated Panel?
Hooks and Supports to Fix on a Wall
The wall hooks are fixed to the walls with suitable screws and plugs. The solidity of these fixings depends on the solidity of your hooks. So this is a point not to be overlooked. There is the hook support, consisting of a support rail with several integrated hooks. The magnetic support is very practical and essential for DIY enthusiasts who want to have their basic tools on hand. It is complementary to a perforated wall tool holder. Then there are the hooks for wall garden tools. They are used to hang tools with handles such as rakes or brooms.
Hooks to Attach to the Ceiling
Useful for clearing the floor space, there are ceiling hooks of different kinds. Ceiling hooks for bikes or ladders consist of straps with hooks for hanging objects. The C-hooks are used to install tall shelves. There are also hooks used to screw directly into a beam to hang a watering can, a basket, etc.
Storage Hooks For Perforated Panels
These are generally installed above a workbench or a work surface. The perforated panels allow you to organize the workspace in a workshop. They can be made of metal or of wood fiber panels. They can be separated from the wall using spacers (shims) to be placed on the back, the air gap ensuring good ventilation of the panel.
The perforations are intended to receive storage hooks for fixing tools to the wall. They are to be modulated according to their size and shape, by theme, and more generally according to their intended use.
There is, therefore, a multitude of tool holder hooks, such as tool holder bars for screwdrivers, brushes, etc.
4. The Materials: Wood, Metal, and Plastic.
What type of material is the best to choose for wall hook? The most common are wood, metal, and plastic.
Wood brings a warm touch to the house, especially if you keep it in its untreated raw state. But, you can also choose one that is varnished. As for the grip, you have the choice between metal and brass. The black color is ideal, irrespective of the shape of your coat hook. Metal is more modern and bends to all shapes. You can choose those in lacquered, brushed, or glossy form. Finally, plastic is the most economical and is especially ideal for a child’s room.
5. The Number of Hooks
In any case, be aware that the cost of each wall hook model varies depending on the features of the product. You can choose a model with only one or more coat hooks. It all depends on your needs, whether you live alone, as a couple or as a large family.
Multi-hook models are also great for the family, and if you want your guests to have somewhere to put their coats.
Then you have to make your choice between a wall-mounted and a door-mounted hook. The first requires drilling at the wall to be able to install it. The second doesn’t need any installation on the frame of your door. It is, therefore, more practical. But you have to assess its robustness and stability.
6. The Choice of Style
The most important thing is to match it with the decoration of your interior. In any case, the classic model fits perfectly in any home. It is a wooden coat hook in a straight line with some hooks.
Then there is the contemporary style with several hooks in decorative and colorful form. They can be installed at different heights to suit each member of the family. You can opt for different shapes and colors for each of them. With these, children will learn how to hang their coats themselves when they get home properly.
In addition, there are designer coat hooks with highly sought-after shapes. You can, for example, opt for coat racks inspired by nature, in the shape of a tree branch, and decorated with birds.
7. Coat hook or Coat Rack: Which is Best?
There things that you should consider when choosing between coat hooks or coat racks:
- I’m running out of space – the hooks: If each square meter is counted, let your walls be a kind of clothes hanger. Attach a few hooks to hang the things you use the most. However, with the freestanding version, there’s the risk of cluttering the space.
- I use a lot of jackets – group everything with the coat rack: Pea coat, leather jacket, or duffle coat; you have a nice collection of jackets. But all that takes up space. If the entrance cupboards are already full, you will need an accessory to group the clothes you are used to wearing. To avoid a bazaar effect that could be suffocating, consider the coat rack. Prefer one with several hooks or handles to place a maximum of jackets.
- Are my walls lacking in decoration? Wall hooks add an aesthetic touch: Do you find your walls lacking in fantasy? Add some colored hooks to change the game. If some can hold a pretty hat, scarf or coat, others are just for decoration. Unearth a few vintage door handles (like porcelain knobs) and attach them to the wall.
- With the hooks, you can fix the ideal height yourself: In a family interior, certain arrangements must be taken into account. As soon as you have children, different notions of security come into play to limit the risks daily. To make them happy, think of arranging the space according to their height. Have a dedicated space for them with an armchair or a nice pouf so that they can put on their shoes easily. Teach them to store their belongings by fixing decorative hooks that are within their height. Meanwhile, on your side, they will be higher.
- Is my entryway empty? A designer coat rack fills the space: Are you lucky to have a spacious entrance? Leave aside the fine furniture and XXS decoration. Prefer massive elements: they attract the eye and will naturally find their place in all this space. Choose a coat rack with stainless steel or light wood structure. In addition to its functional side, it is mainly seen as a decorative element.
Whether for the wall, the ceiling, or elements for perforated panels, the hooks are intended to optimize your room and workspace. They allow you to organize your work, mainly in utility rooms.
The range is vast. However, the wall hook option has a slight lead over the standing coat hook and hanging hook model. We like the aesthetic rendering and also appreciate the real space-saving benefit.
Depending on your needs, there are wall hooks for hanging coats, hats, and other wears, and there are more specific types. You can choose models with one or more hooks depending on the number of clothes you’ll use them to hang.