How to Choose the Best Corner Bookcase?
Table of Contents
Top Best Corner Bookcase Based on Reviews and Price
Why You Need a Good Corner Bookcase?
Do you have space constraints in your home? But, you do not want to stop your desire for books, isn’t? Also, you wish to pass on the habit of reading books to your kids as well. Thanks to the corner bookcase that can rightly meet the requirements of reading enthusiasts like you! Yes, as the name implies, these shelves will use the space, where two walls meet in your home. These spaces, in general, remain unused in most of our homes. But, with corner bookcases, you can use each corner of your home to stake your favorite books to quench your thirst for reading as and when required.
What are Corner Bookcases Anyways?
A corner bookcase is an attractive and smart way to make the effective use of your living space. As mentioned earlier, these cases are designed to sit or hang in places, where two walls meet. These spaces are generally inconvenient for positioning other furniture. Also, these cases will turn out to be a decorative aspect in your home giving space to your favorite books.
Producers of corner bookcases use different materials and so for your book storage needs, investing in such cases will be a very good shopping decision.
Top 9 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Corner Bookcase
Now, you know what a corner bookcase is all about. However, you might be thinking about the points that you should consider when shopping for one. Here are some points that you will have to consider in your shopping for a corner bookcase:
1. Consider the Material Used in the Frame
In general, the frame in a corner bookcase or even any other furniture for that matter is something that gives the structural support to the entire furniture. In other words, the frame decides the fundamental shape of the furniture. So, you should consider the material used for making the frame before you shop for a bookcase:
When the bookshelf has a wood frame, it will ensure durability and strength to the entire shelf. Further, it will ensure sustainability and aesthetic appeal. But, with the wood frame, you should be careful about water spills.
A metal frame bookcase will also be durable as wood. A metal frame can improve the overall appearance of your corner bookcase. However, the quality of the metal is important. The reason is that some metals can rust when years pass.
The good thing about the plastic frame is that it helps the manufacturers to produce bookcases in different colors. But, durability is the problem with the plastic frame. To avoid the issue, it is better to check whether the manufacturer assures durability and whether the case looks sturdy.
Without any doubt, a corner bookcase with a glass frame will look attractive. But, if you have kids in your home playing around, there are chances of a ball and other substances falling on the shelf, which can damage the furniture. To avoid it, you can check whether the glass used in the frame of the corner bookcase is sturdy.
2. What Material Has Been Used for Producing the Shelf?
Not just the frame material, as you know it the shelf, where you will be placing your books. So, the material used for producing the shelf is equally important to consider. Here are the options that you will come across in this regard:
- Wood Shelf: As you plan to place your books, make sure to regularly take them from the wood corner bookcase. The reason is that long unused books can cause damage to the wood-based shelves. You might have seen small insects hiding in a book that not been used for long. These insects can damage a wood shelf.
- Plastic Shelf: When you take the case of a plastic corner bookcase, you should check whether the plastic used in sturdy to handle huge books if you have planned to store big books on the corner shelf. Some plastics are not good enough to stay long.
- Glass Shelf: Glass shelves should be carefully handled as you know. You should give the utmost care when placing and removing books from the glass corner bookcase. Improper handling can cause scratches, which can later develop into cracks if a durable glass is not used by the manufacturer.
- Metal Shelf: Metal shelves look good. But, to maintain the sheen, you should give the utmost care when handling this type of shelf. To avoid this, make sure that you choose a rust-free metal that will stay with you for longer.
3. Do You Want the Bookshelf to Have Doors?
Even though most corner bookcases will be open, some of them will have the final two shelves closed with doors. If you wish to store some books or even other things that should not be visible, you can choose this type of corner bookcase. The doors used in these shelves come in different materials like those stated below so that you can select one that rightly suits your requirements:
- Wood Doors: If you are concerned about whether you can get wood doors that match with the other interiors, you need not have to worry. Nowadays, wood-based corner shelves are available in different colors along with matching doors. If you are looking for traditional shelves, you can consider the one with wood doors.
- Glass Doors: Of course, the ones with glass doors should be handled with care. However, you can check the sturdiness of the glass used and whether it will break or not before deciding on this option.
4. The Number of Shelves
The more the number of shelves, the higher will be the height of the unit as you can judge. So, you should decide on the number of shelves that the corner bookcase should have. If you have a huge collection of books in your home, you can consider a unit with a higher number of shelves. On the other hand, if the collection of books is less in number, you can consider the case with the least number of shelves. You can find shelves with a minimum of two to a maximum of 8 or even more shelves to meet your requirements.
5. Size Matters
The entire size of the corner bookcase should also be considered as an essential factor. You should first measure the corners in your home, where you have decided to place the case. Here, measurement involves not just the width, but also the height of the bookcase that you expect. Even, the depth at which you need the bookshelf should be judged.
When talking about the width, you will come across bookcases with narrow width, standard and wide width. Here, narrow width denotes the unit with a width of less than 20 inches, the standard is between 20 and 50 inches, while wide width denotes more than 50 inches.
When it comes to height, you will find medium, short and toll corner bookcases. The medium size unit will be in the size range of 36-84 inches, short will be less than 36 inches, while the toll variants will be of more than 84 inches height.
6. Hanging or Placing on the Floor
Some corner bookcases can be hung or even you can find models that can be placed on the floor. It is better to consider which one will be the ideal choice for your space and accordingly choose one. If you live in a rented house, where you have restrictions on drilling the walls, you can, of course, find models that you can place on the floor.
7. Consider the Finish
When it comes to finish, it will vary based on the material with which you choose the corner bookcase. However, irrespective of the material you choose, the thing you will have to ensure is that the finish is good enough. Only then, the bookshelf will look good either when placed on the floor or hung in the wall in your home.
When you take the case of wood-based cases, you will come across units with the finish of different shades of wood. So, you can select one based on the color of the other interiors in your home.
8. How About a Bookcase With Adjustable Shelves?
Not all corner bookcases, but some of them come with adjustable shelves. It means that you can remove a shelf when you feel that it is not required. For instance, when you buy a new book that has height more than the height in-between each shelf in the bookcase, you can just remove a shelf and can place the book comfortably.
So, consider this facility when you have books in different sizes. It will help you ensure that all books can be rightly accommodated into the shelf without any hassle.
9. Height Between the Shelves
Not just the overall height of the corner bookcase, it becomes important to consider the height in-between each shelf. Even though most of them come with uniform heights between shelves, some of them also come with shelves that are dedicated to storing small books. So, you can choose one based on your requirements.
Reading will bring many benefits to your kids when practiced right from a young age. So, instill this habit by stocking good books in your home. The right corner bookcase selected considering the factors mentioned above will help you stack the books attractively!