How to Choose the Best Sofa Slipcover?
Table of Contents
Top Best Sofa Slipcover Based on Reviews and Price
Why You Need a Good Sofa Slipcover?
Undoubtedly, slipcovers for sofas provide not just attractiveness, but also functional ways to update your furniture. Let us consider that the furniture in your home is structurally good. But, the fabric is worn out or out-dated. The best way to bring a new life to your furniture is to use a sofa slipcover. Rather than spending huge on sprinting for new or upholstering, these covers can quickly bring a new look to your sofa. When some people think about customized slipcovers by placing their orders with appropriate service providers, most people think about readily available options.
Top 8 Factors to Consider Before Buying a Sofa Slipcover
When you plan to choose a sofa slipcover, you need the best. Here, different options are to be considered in the process of selecting the right slipcover for your sofa. Here are some points of consideration to help you arrive at the right decision:
1. Consider the Slipcover Design
When you compare different sofa slipcovers one of the important options to consider is the design of the sofa slipcover. Here are the options you will come across concerning this:
- One-piece Slipcover: As the name implies, this type will be a single unit that will cover your entire sofa. Rather than adding covers separately for the upper part of the sofa and the lower part of the sofa, this seems to be the better option for many people.
- Stretch Fit Slipcover: You might have heard about stretch-fit costumes. The material used in these dresses will be stretchable and anyone can wear this type of costume as they can stretch. A similar thing will happen when you go for a stretch-fit sofa slipcover. The cover will stretch to fit your sofa irrespective of the size of your sofa. As it will stay close to your sofa, this type of cover will appear as if no cover has been used on the sofa.
- Separate Seat Slipcover: If you have a sofa with separate seats in your home, you should go for the sofa slipcover that has separate seat covers for each seat. This type of design is generally offered for sofas with separate seats. In general, these types of sofas will have three seats and three separate cushions for the back. For all these units, the separate slipcover will be available as a set.
So, you can decide on a suitable design based on the type of sofa you have in your home.
2. Choose a Fabric that is Made to Last
We understand that you will be highly particular about the durability of the sofa slipcover. The thing to remember here is that some of the most indestructible sofa cover fabrics include denim, cotton, canvas and twill blends. Not just the material used in the upper part of the cover, you should also consider the fabric used underneath the cover. For instance, when you choose a leather slipcover, it should be made using natural fibers underneath to absorb the moisture in such a way that there will not be any harm to the leather.
When thick and heavy-duty fabrics can make the sturdy sofa covers, some fabrics like velvet and chenille cannot conform well to the furniture’s shape. So, it is better to keep away from heavy-duty slipcovers. Just in case, you have placed your sofa in a screened-in porch or patio, the outdoor slipcover should have a water-resistant coating.
When you choose slipcovers made using a microfiber or polyester fabric, you will get a more fitting appearance. However, they will be lightweight fabrics. Some other examples of these types of fabrics include micro-suede and stretch-suede slipcovers. When you take the case of wool and silk fabrics, they will offer more sophistication when touching. However, these materials will not last long. Also, they just need dry cleaning at regular intervals.
So, consider the fabric as essential and basic consideration when shopping for a sofa slipcover.
3. Measurement as an Essential Consideration
Yet another important and the factor that you cannot overlook is the measurement. When measuring your sofa, do not forget to measure from the external corner of one arm to the exterior corner of the other arm. Only then, you can know the right size. When talking about slipcovers, here are some of the options you will come across:
- A sofa that measures between 32 and 40 inches can take the chair-sized slipcover
- A sofa of size more than 58 and less than 73 inches can accept a loveseat-sized slipcover.
- A sofa that measures more than 74 inches and less than 96 inches can accept a sofa-sized slipcover.
When measuring the sofa, you should not forget to measure one area. It is nothing, but the distance between the lower part of the sofa and the floor. Some of them will have a pleated or ruffle skirt to give more attractiveness to your sofa.
4. Consider the Type of Attachment Used
The rightly fitting sofa slipcover will provide a seamless appearance such that no one can identify that your sofa has been covered. To ensure this, some of these covers have the facility to tie or drape to the furniture. For instance, you will find stretch covers that mild elasticity to fit the furniture rightly. Here are some options to consider concerning the attachment:
- Elastic: Elastic-based covers are good choices. However, the elastic used should be of good quality and it should not lose its elasticity soon. If it loses elasticity, it will go off the sofa in addition to affecting the aesthetics.
- Ties: As the name implies this variant will have a thread-like structure that you can tie to your sofa. Here too, the thread given should have a good level of thickness to make sure that the sofa slipcover will stay attached to the sofa.
- Hook & Loop Fastener: A sofa slipcover with this attachment will have two components. There will be a couple of lineal fabric strips that are attached to the surfaces on the opposite sides to be fastened. One of these two pieces will have tiny hooks, while the other will have smaller loops. This type of fastener is otherwise called touch fasteners and hook-and-pile fasteners.
- Zipper Closure: As compared to the other options above, you will readily accept and feel that a zipper closure is a beneficial option. Yes, you are right. However, when you choose a sofa slipcover with this attachment option, check whether the zipper used is of good quality and will last longer. Otherwise, your investment will be waste and you will have to either get the zipper changed locally or you will have to for a new slipcover if you find that the zipper does not work very soon.
5. Consider the Cushion Design
The first thing you will have to consider is whether the sofa slipcover offers a cushion-like feel when sitting on it. Also, the design of the cushion will decide the comfort you can get from the cover. For instance, you will find models with regular/box cushion and t-cushion. T-cushion is a variant that will have a textured finish. The good thing about this type of finish is that in addition to bringing a visual appeal, this type of texture will also ensure that there will not be any wrinkles on the sofa cover once covered on the sofa. In turn, nobody can find that you have used a sofa slipcover for your sofa.
6. Consider the Wear and Tear
If your family has the habit of drinking and eating on the sofa when watching your favorite television shows or films, you should be prepared for spills. In this case, it is better to look for a sofa slipcover that can resist stain. As compared to slipcovers made out of polyester material, those made out of cotton stain more easily. But, most of them cannot resist ink stains. So, you should ask your kids to be careful when they are writing something sitting on the sofa.
7. Consider Your Lifestyle
The kind of sofa slipcover that you will need will rely on how you use the sofa in your home. If you will have a lot of guests using the sofa frequently, you will have to look for a colorfast slipcover that will not wear with regular use. If you rarely get guests, you can consider the one with antimicrobial properties. If you get a reversible cover, it will be more beneficial as well. For some days, you can get a different look to your sofa, while for some days you can get a different look by reversing the cover. For daily use, it is better to check whether the sofa cover is waterproof and stain-resistant, particularly if you have pets and kids in your home. A cover with the non-skid feature will stay in place.
8. Is the Sofa Slipcover Machine Washable?
Many of us wish that we should be able to wash the slipcover regularly. If this is the case, you should check whether the sofa slipcover is machine washable. The reason is that you cannot handle the huge cover single-handed when washing by hand.
If you wish to extend the life of your sofa and even if you wish to protect the furniture from getting dirty, a sofa slipcover will be the better option though. You can consider the factors mentioned above to end up with the best slipcover for your sofa.