How to Choose the Best Futon Cover?
Table of Contents
Best Cheap Futon Cover Based on Reviews and Price
Why You Need a Good Futon Cover?
Futons are often quite used furniture in most houses. Whether you use it for sitting and watching TV, rest or as a guest mattress, you must protect it with a slipcover.
Practical and decorative, the cushion slipcover will also transform the style of your living room in the blink of an eye. Economic alternatives to the purchase of new furniture, they are available in many shapes, colors and materials to suit your needs.
To choose the best cover for your futon furniture, that will also suit your needs, consider the features outlined below.
Top 8 Factors to Consider When Buying a Futon Cover
1. Standard or Tailor-made Cover?
There are two types of covers; the standard or adjustable ones. If your sofa has standard dimensions, you will easily find a perfectly fitted cover (i.e. click-clack and BZ).
However, there are adjustable/tailor-made casings that use elastic bands, or knots. Tailor-made models are well-fitted covers that guarantee aesthetics. Before any purchase, you should take the dimensions of the mattress, sofa or armchair that you want to cover. Measure the width and height of the backrest, but also the depth of the seat. Whether it’s click-clack, BZ, corner or traditional sofa, choose a cover adapted to the shape of your furniture.
Pay attention to the finishes, as they will enhance the overall look of the furniture. Invisible, the internal elastic bands prevent it from slipping. Discreet, zips or snaps facilitate the installation of a cover without armrests, in addition to being trendy. To maintain the cover elegantly, opt for knots.
For a quick makeover and an impeccable slip, you will find models in elasticated materials that slip on like a sock in no time.
2. The Fabric Material
In addition to giving a particular style to your interior, the material contributes to the comfort of your sofa.
- Eco-leather Futon Covers: If there are small children or pets in your house, choosing an eco-leather cover for your futon furniture is the best option. This type of material is easy to wash and maintain. It is enough to pass a damp cloth to remove any remaining food, drink, hair or liquids that may have spilled.
- Trench Futon Covers: This fabric is light but highly resistant. It is ideal for those who frequently use their futons, but who take the necessary care to prevent them from getting dirty. The trench is a very noble fabric since it can be washed in the washing machine without being damaged or deformed.
- Chenille Futon Covers: The chenille is composed of small threads cut with a velvety texture. Since its cleaning must be done by hand or in the dry cleaning, it is a recommended fabric for those users who do not have small children or pets in the house.
- Cotton Futon Covers: Versatile and robust, cotton is suitable for most models of sofas. Available in a wide choice of colors and finishes, this natural material is very easily machine-cleaned.
- Linen Cover: With its chic touch and elegant drape, the linen cover brings a touch of refinement to your decor. It will fit perfectly into a designer’s interior. On the maintenance side, most linen covers can be machine-washed and ironed.
- Velvet Futon Cover: To provide a cozy touch to your living room, opt for the retro softness of velvet. This type of cover is ideal for Scandinavian-style interiors.
- Synthetic Cover: In terms of value for money, the synthetic sofa cover is unbeatable. Robust, this material does not fluff. You can treat it against stains and odors to facilitate its maintenance. Besides, it allows you to change the decoration as you wish without breaking the bank. It’s something to try out for new trends, with popular models such as Alcantara or Suede available.
3. What About the Decor?
Very fashionable, it throws easily cover corner sofas or outsized dimensions. Available in many styles, materials, and colors, they bring renewal to the decor without you having to change the cover. In winter, you can wrap yourself in their gentle warmth.
To increase your comfort and add a touch of elegance to your living room, bet on cushions. Whether cushions that match the cover, the curtains or add contrast: let your creativity express itself for a personalized style.
4. What Kind of Furniture Do You Have?
One of the first steps, when you are going to choose a futon cover, is to know what type of sofa you have. It is not the same to buy a cover for a chaise longue and for a triplet. And in most cases, those that are designed for a furniture style are not going to adapt to another since there are many variations at play.
Normally, we will have classic two or three seater sofas, click-clack sofas, and chaise longue.
For click-clack cover, its sofa covers meet standard dimensions. The choice is between:
- The standard cover that partially covers the back and seat of the bench.
- The base cover (ideal for furniture placed against a wall). Its elastic finish ensures perfect support.
- The integral cover covers the entire furniture, including the back. Adjustment is simple, thanks to the knots.
Thus, it is important for know your furniture feature and design before choosing a cover.
5. Measure Your Sofa
You have to measure the furniture to make sure you are buying the right thing, especially when you’re ordering online. In the sheet of each cover, you will find its measurements. This will help you know what part of your sofa you have to take into account.
In most cases, it will be worth it to measure the width of the furniture. But, in some cases, you will have to measure only the backrest and in others also the arms, depending on the shape of the cover.
Remember that one of the advantages of buying from your home, online, is that there is no hurry. So you can calmly measure and perform all the checks you need until you are absolutely sure that you have chosen the right product.
You can find covers that are for armchairs and three-seat sofas with armrests and high backrest. The total height is always around 102 cm, more or less; the seat depth: 80 to 90 cm; armrest height: 66 cm; width: 102 cm for the armchair, maximum width: 206 cm for the 3-seater sofa.
Remember that there are different models:
- Those with knots for a more decorative side.
- The preformed types that fit your sofa with bumblebee finish, covered back and elasticated base.
- The extendable that perfectly matches the shape of your sofa.
6. A Style That Fits in Your Living Room
Now, you know the type of case you want and also the size of it. It remains to choose the model and color. There are more practical models, others a bit more elegant, loose or elastic.
When choosing the model of the cover, keep in mind that, although some may seem almost the same, they are not. The fabric may be different. Read the characteristics and composition and something important. If you put the cursor on the photograph of the cover on the Web, you can see an enlarged image of the fabric so you can see its picture and get a very rough idea of how it is.
You can find different patterns that will enhance your internal decor; from floral prints to aura prints and pastel patterns.
7. The Color
When choosing the color, keep in mind that the resolution of the screen, the brightness it has and its quality may slightly influence the tone you are seeing. Therefore, always try to buy using a digital device that you know is true to colors. If in doubt, you can see the product from a computer and from your phone to get an idea about whether or not there can be important variations, especially if the exact tone is important to you.
There are no fast rules on what the color or color combination should be. It all depends on your living room decor, your taste, and your personal or family needs. However, futon covers such as the bright and colorful covers, dark and black covers, muted covers, blue slipcovers, brown, burgundy and gray covers are just some of the options you have.
8. Machine Washable
Futon slipcovers are always subject to change. Instead of making a rather complicated effort at cleaning your futon mattress or sofa or replacing them, the slipcovers stand as a shield against external dirt and aggression against the furniture.
Hence, since they’ll get dirty and stained with time, you have to ensure they are easily washable. First, choose machine-washable materials. Materials with anti-stain treatments will also be practical.
Wrapping It Up
The futon cover is a practical and inexpensive solution for futon protection, renovation, and moving with the trend. Dimensions are one of the first determining factors in choosing your sofa cover. To refine your selection, then determine what is the role of the cover. The sofa covers are available in a wide range of colors, textures, and patterns, from the soberest to the most decorative design.
When it comes to simply refresh the look of an old sofa, all styles are allowed. On the other hand, if it is a question of protecting it from damage inflicted by a pet, opt for an adapted material, by prioritizing the material’s solidity.
Finally, think of the maintenance of your futon cover: choose a fabric with anti-stain treatment.