The Best Steam Iron Buying Guide
Table of Contents
Top Best Steam Iron Based on Reviews and Price
How to Choose the Best Steam Iron?
Right from the introduction, steam iron has evolved a lot. They come with a wide range of features. Some models are designed just to keep your clothes neat by pressing them. Even though most of us have an iron box in our homes for pressing our daily clothes, if you plan to shop for a new one, you will have to consider different factors. You might have shopped for the device that you presently use in your home very long ago. Now, with many features introduced in the market, here are the top factors you will have to consider in shopping for the right steam iron for your requirement:
10 Things to Know When Choosing a Steam Iron
1. The Plate Used in the Steam Iron
The plate, as you can judge, is the place that presses against your cloth when you press the cloth with a steam iron. It is this plate that will determine the outcomes of your ironing and also how long the iron will last. You should ensure that the plate is easy to clean after use. Most importantly, look at whether it is scratch resistant. When you choose the steam iron unit with non-stick coating on the plate, you can reduce the chances of scorching the clothes and it will also be easier to clean as well.
When talking about the plates, you can go for the one with a ceramic plate. The reason is that in addition to offering a superior glide, the steam iron with this type of plate will also heat up evenly. However, the cost of the system with a ceramic plate will be more as compared to other models. You can also choose the unit with SS soleplate. This will be resistant to rust. Another viable option is aluminum soleplate. It will be scratch resistant and will last longer as well.
2. Variable Settings
Once you have decided on the soleplate material, the next thing you will have to consider is whether the steam iron offers different temperature settings. As you know, all cloth is not equally made. One cloth might withstand heavy steam, while one will not. So, you should be able to manually adjust the setting based on the cloth that you presently iron. This will ensure the safety of your cloth from burns. In some models, you can precisely control the amount of steam released.
3. Consider the Number of Holes in the Soleplate
When you have used a steam iron earlier, but without any holes in the soleplate, you might have had trouble in even distribution of steam. When there are holes in the surface that you use for ironing the clothes, the steam will be released evenly on the fabric. However, you might have to spend time cleaning this type of surface. Nevertheless, this feature will save you effort and time in ironing and will prevent water condense on the clothes.
4. Steam Pressure
When the steam pressure generated by a steam iron is higher, the output power will also be higher. For instance, when the value of the steam pressure bar is more than 5, it will be easier for you to beat the wrinkles in any kind of cloth material you iron. When considering the steam pressure, here are the following types you should know about:
- Non-pressurized: This type of pressure will work similarly to that of regular steam irons. However, the difference is that it can produce double the amount of steam produced by a regular steam iron. Also, this type of iron will have a considerable and separate water department that is provided with a heating element.
- Pressurized: This will cost you more as compared to the non-pressurized models. However, it is known for its wrinkle-free ironing. The vast steam produced by this type will be coming out of the device with high pressure. This type of pressure can cause a considerable effect on quickly getting rid of even the most stubborn crease just with a small amount of effort from the end of the user.
Undoubtedly, you will be intending to use the new steam iron for long similar to the one that you presently use. But, your question here will be how to identify the durability of an iron box? All that you will have to do is just a little research. Just look for the materials that are capable enough to last longer. Just talking to the people who have been using a specific model from a particular brand will help you judge the durability.
6. Cordless or Corded Variants
Naturally, all of us will opt for cordless steam iron when we are provided with both these options. However, cordless units are just in the infancy phase when it comes to the steam iron market. Studies show that cordless units still lack quality and durability. Of course, you will like the convenience of not having the cord.
However, cordless units tend to lose heat quickly and need constant reheating. In turn, the time taken for ironing will be more for you than going for a corded unit. So, compare and make the right choice.
7. Special Features
When talking about the points to consider in shopping for a steam iron, you should consider the essential features that will make your steam ironing process easy undoubtedly. Here are some features:
- Auto shut-off: This feature will help to prevent overheating of the ironing plate. It will automatically cut-off, once the heat reaches the pre-set temperature. Then, once you start ironing, the power will automatically switch-on to heat the plate to the desired temperature. It is also a safety feature to consider.
- Self-cleaning: In the steam heads and the tank, the build-up can gather not just in the tank, but also in the steam heads. When the steam iron has a self-cleaning feature, it will automatically clean the build-up using a strong blast of steam with just a push of a button.
- Water filters: Some steam irons require the user to use distilled water. You know that it will cost you more. So, to help you, nowadays, some models do not need distilled water. You can just use tap water. With a resin filter and with anti-calcium valve, pure water will reach the steamer.
- Eco-friendliness: If you are concerned about high power consumption, you can go for a steam iron that is rated to consume less power. Also, some units consume less water for generating steam as well, thereby making it eco-friendly.
- Iron lock: This feature will help with locking the unit with the base. It means that it will be easier and safe to handle and carry.
- Anti-scale: In general, when you buy steam iron, you will have a lime-scale build-up. But, with a unit with an anti-scale function, it will prevent and even it will remove lime-scale. It means that you can save on the cost of buying anti-scale products.
- Anti-dip: This feature will prevent water from dripping via steam vents. Also, it will avert heat hazards as spilling and leaking are prevented.
- Vertical steam: When the steam iron has a vertical steaming feature, you can easily iron hanging garments and even garments like curtains. Some units will help you iron both horizontally and vertically. If you have the requirement of ironing horizontal clothes, you can consider this feature. Otherwise, it might not help.
8. Water Tank
As a steam iron works with the help of water to produce steam, you should check the water department before deciding on a model. It is better to check whether the unit can produce steam continuously for at least 30 minutes without requiring water re-filling. It would be better to choose a unit with a water-level indicator or the unit with a transparent water tank. These things will ensure that you can monitor the water level before it drains completely. Also, check whether the tank is detachable to refill the water easily.
9. Consider Spraying Mechanism
Many steam irons these days come with a spray feature. The important benefit associated with the spray feature is that it can make your cloth wet before ironing. In turn, you can get crease-free ironing and even it will help with making your clothes crisper too. Easy and quick ironing will also be possible with this feature.
The wattage level of the steam iron will indicate how fast the unit will heat up and how long it can retain the heat. Of course, there is no guarantee that higher wattage irons will bring better performance as compared to the units with lower wattage. To get better results, you can consider irons with more than 1500 watts to make your ironing job easier and quicker.
Wrapping It Up
Steam ironing has many benefits as compared to dry ironing. Selecting the right steam iron will make the process easier, hassle-free and even enjoyable. You can consider the factors discussed above when deciding on the right steam iron for your home use. In addition to the features discussed above, make sure that the handles are ergonomic and user-friendly when shopping.