How to Choose the Best Decorative Candles?
Table of Contents
Top Best Decorative Candles Based on Reviews and Price
What are Decorative Candles?
Decorative candles are used for their aesthetic appeals, the scents they produce, and less for their lighting functionality. There are thousands of models to choose from. And making the right choice involves knowledge of their right compositions and knowing the right criteria of choice. Check these out in this in-depth guide for decorative candles!
9 Things to Consider When Buying Decorative Candles
1. Candles for Every Style
- Simple Style Candles: If you appreciate a classic chic style, favor simplicity. Go for candles that always have their effect when they decorate a beautiful candlestick.
- Modern Style Candles: You can also invoke a touch of modernity by opting for colorful models.
- Baroque Candles: For a baroque decoration, stick twisted candles in your tassel chandeliers instead.
- Zen Buddhist Style Candles: Are you rather Zen? Opt for candles with rounded shapes. You can also go for beautiful pebble-shaped candles or floating types. You can place them in a transparent vase filled with water.
2. Making the Right Wax Choice
There are three main families of waxes: chemical waxes, vegetable waxes, and animal waxes.
Chemical wax is made from paraffin, a petroleum residue. It is used by candle manufacturers for its combustion capacities, but also its very affordable price. However, during its use, it is often mixed with other materials which make it harmful to health. The result is the emanation of formaldehyde and acrolein.
Also, a high concentration of benzene is present during the combustion of these candles. These candles are however known for their toxicity and the respiratory problems they cause. Hence, we advise that you don’t choose chemical wax candles. Fortunately, many manufacturers opt for the use of natural vegetable or animal wax. But it’s still something you have to keep an eye out for.
Animal wax is historically the oldest and most traditional there is. It is more specifically beeswax. It is secreted by the glands located in the abdomen of bees. 100% natural, it emanates almost no polluting components. Moreover, it is naturally colored and perfumed. Beeswax is engaging manufacturers because it is much more expensive.
In addition, the threat hanging over our dear bee friends is pushing manufacturers to reduce the amount of beeswax present in their candles. In conclusion, if you have the budget, go for candles with this type of wax.
In recent years, candle wax has been the real revolution in the world of candles. Vegetable wax has become the darling of manufacturers of scented candles. Today, it is a formidable selling point, and we understand why.
Generally composed of soya, palm, rapeseed, coconut, or cactus, they are reputed to emit no pollutants, unlike paraffin wax. Vegetable wax has very good combustion capacities, close to that of paraffin. Indeed, it is very oily; it burns uniformly and diffuses the fragrance for a long time.
However, certain types of vegetable waxes face environmental challenges. This is the case of palm oil, the palm trees which are the subject of international discussions because of deforestation.
3. Choosing Decorative Candles for Their Aesthetics
For Christmas or other festivities, buy beautiful and sizeable candles without the intention of lighting them. This way, it is possible to have original and decorative candles over several years. They are easy to conserve and only require dusting them from time to time. You can choose to use these candles only for their exterior aesthetics without paying attention to other characteristics (perfume, natural components, etc.).
You can place your decorative candle on a candlestick or place it in the center of the house if its style is original. If you choose to light them, choose ones with raw materials colors, shapes, and patterns that are out of the ordinary. If necessary, customize them with stickers or adhesive tapes.
4. Candles for Perfuming Your Living Space
Most consumers use candles only for the sweetness of their flame and their aesthetic appearance. But some candles are also appreciated for the scents they distill in the air and for the relaxing atmosphere they produce.
But in this specific case, you must choose candles composed of at least 90% natural ingredients. They have to be based on wax and vegetable butter. To have a good diffusion of the perfume, choose candles with cotton wicks. Also, choose a candle without paraffin, additives, and without additional dyes.
5. The Shape And Size of Your Candle
Here are some tips for choosing the candle shape in line with your interior design:
- The size and shape of a candle should be chosen based on your living space, available locations, and the dimensions of each room.
- Candles come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Round, elongated, twisted, white or colored, tealight format, or XXL size; decorative candles are endlessly available!
- Some candles can be placed in pots that require a larger space. These models have the advantage of containing wax, producing no stains, and considerably reducing the risk of fire.
- Remember to choose a larger candle for large living rooms. Smaller ones will also be great for the bathroom or bedroom. A small candle will usually bring about dim lights. Meanwhile, a traditional candle or lantern will brighten up your space more.
6. The Choice of Wick
The wick is a crucial element of the candle. It plays a primordial role in the performance of the candle at the level of burning. Too wide wick causes the candle to burn too quickly, and a too-thin wick cannot liquefy the wax and very often ends up digging it out. The other feature of the wick to identify a good candle is its composition. To avoid inhalation of chemical substances, it should be made of cotton, linen, or even wood.
7. How to Choose the Right Scented Candle
With its tender, sweet-smelling scent, its pleasant warmth, and its design that easily adapts to any decor. The scented candle has become a favorite for men, especially in winter. It’s always great as a decorative object or to create a certain atmosphere. Thanks to the fragrances offered by perfumers, these candles release an intoxicating, touching, and de-stressing scent. However, to enjoy its benefits, it is important to choose the right scented candle. Here, quality is very important when you want to use a scented candle.
8. What is the Right Composition of the Scented Candle?
The components of a scented candle are as follows:
- Natural wax: This can be beeswax, soybean, or other wax or paraffin.
- A wick: It can be in braided cotton or made with another material. It all depends on the manufacturer.
- A flammable container: This is in either glass or stainless steel. The size of this varies according to the size of the candle.
- Perfumes: These should be obtained from essential oils and whose concentration rate is often between 8% and 12%.
For candles from major brands, this concentration makes it possible to have constant scent until it is completely burned. However, this is not the case for low-end scented candles. This is why it is important to take into account the composition of the scented candle before purchasing it.
In fact, some candles tend to give off a very pleasant and captivating odor when you approach them. But once you start using them, the scent disappears. Don’t be fooled by appearance often. And don’t skimp on the price if you want to have a good time with your candle.
9. Where Can You Place the Scented Candle?
There are more than 40,000 categories of scented candles on the market, ranging from just $3 to $50. It all depends on your needs and expectations. Thanks to its fragrance, it is possible to create several atmospheres around you depending on what you need it for.
In the Bathroom, Kitchen, or Living Room
To create an atmosphere at home, you must choose the fragrance according to the type of atmosphere you want to have at home. In the bathroom, kitchen, or living room, it all depends on the place you want to transform. You can place your scented candle anywhere as long as it plays its role well. For a relaxing and de-stressing bath filled with good memories, all you have to do is create the right atmosphere in your shower. Want to enjoy a pleasant scent while you cook? Create your atmosphere in the kitchen so that the perfume can reach you.
To Rid Bad Odors in Rooms
There are also indoor candles that help you to rid some of your rooms of bad smells. Simply set them off in the affected rooms. But above all, opt for candles in pots to create your atmosphere.
Today, there are so many different candles that you can use in many ways and for various occasions. Whether it is to create a certain atmosphere in your bathroom, to serve as an ornament during a dinner, decorate the house, meditate, or for any other use, the candle alone plays several roles. The choice of a decorative candle boils down to individual needs at home. Among these include the location of use, the purpose of use (for decoration, religion practices, odor removal, and de-stressing). While we advised against the choice of chemical waxes, note that candles with animal waxes may come at extra costs.
However, the vegetable wax decorative candles are easily accessible, have natural materials, and are most popular. Remember to choose a candle that has no paraffin, additives, and additional dyes.