How to Choose the Best Storage Baskets?
Table of Contents
Top Best Storage Baskets Based on Reviews and price
Why You Need a Good Storage Basket?
A quote reads “For every minute spent organizing, an hour is earned” Yes, if you are a person more into organizing things, you might have realized that this nature has helped you a lot in many instances. In general, people, who keep things organized, are safeguarded from last-minute tension.
As they know where they have kept the essentials, they can save time searching for things at the last minute. If you are planning to buy a storage basket as you know that it can help you with organizing stuff, you will have to consider different factors in your shopping.
Why Buy a Storage Basket?
The sight of a well-organized storage basket can bring a whole lot of excitement for many of us, who have piles of stuff without a place to put them in our homes. The storage baskets can do a great job of helping you organize bulky and seasonal stuff safely. Let us get into the points of consideration when shopping for the best storage basket for your home:
8 Factors to Consider Before Purchasing a Storage Basket
1. What Should be Stored?
To identify the right storage basket for your need, you should first identify why you need the basket. It means you should know what will be stored in the basket and how much is the quantity. Just gather all the stuff that you have planned to store in the basket. When you have all of them in a single space, you can identify what type of basket will fit your needs. Based on your organizing needs, you will find baskets that are suitable for storing vegetables, books, plants, pillows, linens, toys, and games.
2. What Should Be the Size of the Basket?
You know that when you buy a storage basket, you will have to consider the size as an essential consideration. Do you want it to be narrow, short, tall or wide? You will find narrow baskets with a width of fewer than 6 inches. In the same way, you will come across short baskets with less than 12-inch height. Here, you will have to consider the place in which you are going to place the basket. Only then, you can select the basket of the right size.
3. What Should Be the Material?
It will be easier for you to choose the best storage basket when you know that material that will rightly meet your storage needs. Here are some options you will come across when it comes to the material used for making these baskets:
If you wish that everything in your home should be environmental-friendly, you can consider the storage basket made using this material with the following pros:
- Flexible material
- Easy to care
- Light yet strong
- Gives a decorative look to any atmosphere
- If you plan to use a storage basket for storing used clothes, this material might not help. The reason is that it can absorb odors and moisture.
- Also, the tight weave design of this material makes it hard to clean.
- Even, it can snag the clothes and can damage them.
When it comes to metal storage baskets, different types of metals are used by manufacturers. Here is the list of pros and cons of a storage basket made using this material:
- Metal is generally known for its durability
- Also, metal baskets are available in different sizes to meet your storage needs.
- Metal baskets can weigh more
- Based on the type of metal used, there are chances of rust formation
- To prevent rust formation, proper maintenance is required
Fabric storage baskets look good in your space and the attractive designs in which these baskets are available can make it the best choice.
- Most fabric baskets are foldable.
- You can just remove the substance like cardboard that holds the basket in shape and can easily wash these baskets
- They are generally lightweight to handle
- When you carry a fabric storage basket with full content, there are chances of strain to the structure of the basket
- If the quality of the construction is not good, it can wear out easily.
If you are a person highly particular about traditional values, you can go for a wood storage basket that can carry the following pros and cons:
- Wood is a durable material and a wood storage basket will stay with you for longer.
- Environmentally friendly
- You can easily stack wood storage basket one over the other when not in use or even with items filled
- If the basket is made using untreated wood, it can easily get contaminated with bacteria and fungi.
- Proper maintenance is important to ensure that the storage basket stays longer.
As you know, plastic is widely used these days for producing different products. Storage baskets are no exception to this rule. Here are the pros and cons you can expect from a plastic storage basket:
- Available in attractive colors
- Handling will be easier for you
- Can be used for storing any item including vegetables and clothes
- Based on the quality of plastic used, the color of the basket might fade in the longer run.
- They are not as strong as the other materials like wood and metal
- Can deteriorate over time
Apart from these materials, the other material choices you will come across in storage baskets are mesh, paper/cardboard, leather/faux leather and seagrass. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages. So, you can choose the best storage basket material based on your personal preferences and requirements.
4. What Should Be The Features Of The Storage Basket?
Some baskets are produced with some unique features. So, considering these features can help you choose the right storage basket. Here are some features you can consider:
Are Handles Provided?
Some baskets have in-built handles, while some will have handles protruding outside the body of the basket. Irrespective of the style, it would be better to check whether the basket has handles. Only then, handling will be easier for you.
Is Liner Included?
When you take the case of some baskets like a wicker basket or even some plastic baskets, they will have holes in the base. The very design of these baskets will be in this format. So, to prevent smaller things from falling from the basket, it would be better to check whether a liner has been included in these types of baskets. The good thing about choosing a basket with liner is that you can just remove it from the basket and can wash it regularly.
Will There Be A Lid In the Basket?
You might need baskets with lid in some instances. They will give an even more attractive appearance to the basket besides usefulness. So, you can check whether the basket comes with a lid. But, if you wish to quickly grab things from the basket, a lid can be a problem. So, consider your preference and make your selection appropriately.
Is The Basket Collapsible?
When the basket is collapsible, you can just unwind it and place it safely when you feel that you need not require the basket anymore. Even, this facility will save some space particularly when you get bigger baskets.
5. Should the Basket be Aesthetically Appealing?
If you plan to use the basket in your backyard to place used clothes until the next wash, there might not be any issues. But, if you plan to use the basket inside your home and particularly in the living room to store some essential supplies, you should consider the aesthetic appeal of the basket undoubtedly.
6. Consider the Shape
Do you know that you can buy storage baskets in different shapes these days? Yes, most of us have seen a rectangular basket, but you will find them in other shapes as well. Examples include oval, square and circular shape. Just decide the shape based on the other interiors in the room, where you have planned to place the basket.
7. Will it be Possible to Customize the Basket?
Some moms with two kids use storage baskets to store the books and other essential supplies of their kids. When it comes to such a storage requirement, you should check whether personalization of the storage basket is possible. Only then, you can prevent your kids from getting into a fight for confusion in their belongings. When the basket offers a customization option, you can easily name the basket for your kids to easily store their supplies in the appropriate basket.
8. Are You Planning to Buy the Basket for Your Kid?
Most parents think about buying these baskets for their kids. To make sure that you can choose the basket based on the age of your kid, you will find baskets for different life stages. You will find baskets that can meet the requirements of teens, while there will be different options for kids, babies and adults. So, you can easily filter the basket to buy based on the age of your kid.
The best storage basket can turn out to be a versatile addition. To make sure that you will choose the right basket for your need, we have given the considerations above. Just use them to make the right choice of storage basket to your requirement