How to Choose the Best Sofa Bed?
Table of Contents
Top Best Sofa Beds Based on Reviews and Price
Why You Need a Good Sofa Bed?
A sofa bed is a versatile and very practical piece of furniture, thanks to its dual purposes. During the day, it is used as a sofa. And at night, it becomes a bed. We have all known them for decades, and you may have had the opportunity to sleep in one of them.
However, things have improved incredibly in recent years. We all remember the models from the past – uncomfortable and not very decorative, not to mention that they were quite ugly. However, today’s sofa beds have nothing to do with these. Today, you have very beautiful models at your fingertips that hardly reveal their double function.
But, what criteria must be taken into account when choosing a sofa bed? How are they different from each other? To help you answer these questions, here are some key features to think about before deciding.
Top 8 Factors to Consider When Buying a Sofa Bed
1. How Often and How You Are Going to Use It
A sofa bed is a perfect solution when you need to have an extra bed at home. They are perfect for when you do not have space. Perhaps you don’t have room to allocate guests. Thinking about your needs and the purpose you need the sofa bed for is essential when choosing it. If you need to open it daily to sleep in it, it will be worth investing a little more and buying a very comfortable sofa bed.
Are you going to use it as the main sofa in your living room? It is best to choose a model with high-density cushions. On the other hand, is the idea just to use it only as an auxiliary piece of furniture in the study or in a secondary room of the house? Will you only have to sleep in it sporadically? Then you can choose a more current model. Choose one that takes up little space, and that allows you to invite friends or family to stay over at your house.
2. Types of Sofa Beds
- Sofa bed with sliding opening mechanisms: This type of sofa is practical. It’s easy to be switched into a bed thanks to its folding legs. It is small since it does not need to be very wide. But it is not too comfortable. And it can’t be closed with the bed made either.
- Click-Clack sofa or book type sofa bed: As its name suggests, its opening system is like a book. They are for more sporadic uses and places that lack space. They are not very comfortable, but they are precisely small in dimensions.
- Folding sofa bed: They are very useful when they are going to be used continuously. They open in a practical way and can be closed with the bed stretched out. Another of its benefits is that the mattress is separated from the sofa system. And it can be changed according to the owner’s preference.
- Japanese futon as a sofa bed: This is a type of traditional sofa bed whose origin is in Japan. It is regularly filled with synthetic or cotton material. It’s mostly used in small rooms, and it is not intended for everyday use. This is because it is not comfortable enough.
- Western futon sofa bed: Its difference with the Japanese is that its mattress is thicker. So it can be more comfortable than the previous one. It’s also suitable for slightly larger spaces.
- Chaise lounge sofa bed: It is a type of sofa bed that is really spacious. It is a very elegant furniture style, and its comfort depends on the material of construction.
3. Ease of Opening and Closing
The opening system of a sofa bed is another criterion to consider, especially if you are going to use it frequently. In that case, choose a model that transforms quickly from sofa to bed. This is a piece of furniture that is easy to open and to pick up. There are opening systems that allow you to close the sofa while in bed mode. This will be much more comfortable for you daily.
If you’re going to use the bed less frequently, then it is not so important that it can be closed with the bed made. In this case, you can think of other smaller options, which leave more free space in the room.
4. Consider the Available Space
If you have space problems, better be cautious and take out your measuring tape! In this case, you must measure the sofa while closed and open. Keep in mind that you will need a few centimeters more around once the sofa is transformed into a bed. This will help you to be able to move around the room.
Form Small Rooms
Is the area where you want to place the furniture in the house small? Then you could choose a sofa bed with small dimensions. The mattress for this sofa can be between the measurements of 190cm length and 100cm width. Based on these measures, we advise you to find a single sofa bed. This takes up little space and still gives you the same necessary functionality. Examples are click-clack or book or slider sofa beds. These open easily and do not take up much space.
For Large Space
For a large space, chose sofa beds that are the size of the matrimonial beds. You may also choose two to a three-piece chaise lounge. The chaise longue is that furniture that has one long square. Where the legs are supported, it is L-shaped. They are comfortable and spacious.
First, the texture and color are important for your furniture with the room where it is placed. Then, the decoration of the sofa bed also goes with the atmosphere of the living room it is. There is a wide variety of these pieces of furniture on the market. So you can choose the style and design that best suits you in relation to the decoration of the room in which you are going to place it. To decorate, you can use accessories such as cushions and auxiliary blankets. With these, you can choose a color or vary the design of the sofa bed.
For these reasons, you can choose a sofa bed that is simple and unicolor. This helps you to focus more on comfort.
6. Choose Your Design
Within the variety of sofa beds, you will find countless designs. It will depend primarily on the space where you are going to locate it as well as the people who are going to use it. There are sofas with a double bed and others which are single. Examples of the latter are those for children’s rooms.
If it is a sofa bed for a living room, choose a comfortable design. They have to feature armrests and high backrest. Know that you are going to use it not only for sleeping but for reading, watching television, etc. Are you going to use it as a guest bed in a study area? You can choose a smaller model with a more informal design. You also have the DIY option with recycled wooden pallets. This solution is very economical and aesthetically very attractive.
You can also choose a futon bed that acts as a sofa. They are ideal in minimalist interiors.
7. The Level of Comfort of the Backrest and Armrest
The fundamental thing when choosing any sofa is that when sitting, you feel comfortable. That your back is well supported, your head is well supported, your feet don’t hang, etc.
With a sofa bed, in addition to all this, keep in mind that the cushions are made of high-density foam. Make sure it has a base with a good bed base. Ensure the armrests are well-padded and aren’t below the level of your elbow.
Above all, see that it is comfortable to open and close. Or else, you may get screwed every time you do this. There are many opening models. So consider which one is the most practical for you before deciding.
8. The Cushion Materials
Choose the material of construction with a firmness that is best for your needs. For the sake of the comfort of this piece of furniture, you must ensure that it is not very hard but also not very loose. There are a couple of options as far as the cushion for a sofa bed is concerned:
- Feather-filled sofa beds: The most recommended materials are duck feathers due to their elasticity.
- Sofa beds with synthetic or anti-allergenic material: Some people are uncomfortable knowing the origin of the feathers. And for this reason, synthetic material that does not come from a living source also works.
- Foam sofa bed: Another filling material is foam. It is cheaper than the previous one. But its comfort depends on its volume inside the cabinet. At the same time, the proportion of the size will determine the firmness.
- Foam rubber: Foam rubber is widely used in the sofa market. It is inexpensive and tends to be a more rigid material than ordinary foam. In addition to filling the cabinet, take into account that metal structures are recommended because they are more resistant.
There are various types of sofa beds. Each type adapts to everyone’s needs. Comfort and functionality are the most important factors in choosing a sofa bed. Sofa beds with cushions built into them can be very comfortable, both as an armchair and as a bed. As an armchair, they must serve as support for our backs. They must also be perfect, or nearly so, as a bed. All this indisputably depends on the clothing material and the cushions.
Finally, to make cleaning your furniture comfortable, ask your salesperson if the cushion covers can be changed. Now, take the tips into account and choose the best sofa bed that works for you!