How to Choose the Best Twin Size Mattress?
Table of Contents
Top Best Twin Size Mattresses Based on Reviews and Price
Why You Need a Good Twin Size Mattress?
You might have heard about and even used a single bed. Your parents might have got it for you when you were a kid. But, now, you are thinking about buying the best twin size mattress just because you have a partner now. Just wait, before you buy one, it is better to gain some basic knowledge about it:
What is the Size of a Twin Bed?
In general, the dimension of a twin size mattress will be 38” x 75”, which is followed as a standard by bed manufacturers. This size is the smallest of all the mattresses out there and can accommodate young kids and also most adults in a comfortable manner. This size bed is the ideal choice for single adults and kids.
Also, it is suitable for anyone with a small living situation like a shared room or a studio apartment. However, if you plan to buy as a couple, it is not so great for couples. Also, it does not fit taller men and women. Further, it does not fit anyone interested in spreading out when sleeping at night. Here, the thing to remember is that 75” is nothing, but 6 foot 3. However, you need not lose hope that you cannot buy a twin size mattress. Yes, you can think about getting a twin XL mattress.
What is a Twin XL Mattress?
The dimension of this mattress is higher than a normal Twin size mattress at 38” x 80”. In general, this type is used commonly in college dorm rooms. Even though it can rightly fit a smaller living space like a twin size mattress, it will also provide additional length for teenagers and taller adults. This type is ideal for teenagers and taller adults living in a house with small living rooms. Even, those living in a shared room or studio apartment can consider this option.
Top 8 Factors to Consider When Buying a Twin Size Mattress
Irrespective of whether you choose a regular twin mattress or an XL twin size mattress, it is better to consider the following things to make sure that you can ensure your comfortable sleep every night:
1. What Type of Mattress Do You Need?
Of course, mattresses are classified on the basis of size. But, they are classified based on the construction as well. Here is the classification concerning this:
If you are a person with a sitting job, you will be spending most time of the day sitting in front of a computer. So, you will be looking for a mattress that will bring the right kind of relief from the pressure and stress caused to your back. Here, Foam mattresses can provide this relief to you. Otherwise called a memory foam mattress, this type will bring the following benefit:
- Provide pain relief on your back
- Offer temperature-control support. So, you can choose it with confidence even if your body generates more heat at night when you sleep.
- Provide relief from pain.
- Provide motion transfer resistance. It means that when two of you share the bed, the movement of one person will not affect the other.
- If you are allergic to dust and dirt, you can consider choosing a memory foam mattress. The reason is that it has anti-allergenic properties.
Latex mattresses generally bring together latex foam with either reflex foam or springs. This is done by manufacturers for creating a durable and supportive surface for sleep. As latex is a natural product, manufacturers generally bring together latex mattresses with other natural fillings. Here are some of the reasons to consider a twin size mattress made of latex:
- If you look for the utmost comfort when sleeping, then you can confidently choose this material.
- You have joint and back pain, you can consider this variant for pain relief.
- It will help with natural spine alignment. When you use this mattress, the heavier body parts like hips and shoulders sink into the latex. Not just heavier body parts, to bring natural spine alignment.
- It naturally resists mites and mold.
- Besides being environmentally conscious, it is a naturally allergen-free material.
- As in the production of this mattress, you need not have to worry about electromagnetic radiation.
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, latex mattress promotes excellent air circulation as well. However, the cost and weight of this mattress will be on the heavier side for some buyers.
Innerspring is a type of mattress that uses steel coil for supporting your body. This type of twin size mattress and even mattress of other sizes incorporate springs at the core of the unit. This is added by manufacturers to make sure that the weight of the user is rightly absorbed when he lies on the bed. If you are looking for a bouncy mattress, an innerspring mattress undoubtedly can be the best choice. Here are the benefits of this type:
- The bouncy nature of an innerspring mattress can bring the best comfort to you.
- Due to the construction, this type of mattress is generally more breathable as compared to other types.
- As the comfort layer of this mattress does not have much material, it is less likely to cause a distinctive smell. Many people complain about this thing in a latex and foam mattress, but with an innerspring mattress.
- Due to uniform sleep surfaces, this type is ideal for stomach sleepers.
A hybrid mattress is generally a multi-layer bed. It encompasses gel, latex or foam along with an innerspring system. It means that you can get all the positives associated with other types from this type of mattress.
2. Consider Your Comfort Level
Of course, you plan to buy a twin size mattress just to enhance the level of comfort when you sleep. The firmness of the mattress will decide your comfort level when using it. The type of firmness you select should be decided based on your sleep position and your weight.
- Soft beds are ideal for lightweight sleepers. Also, you can choose this type of bed, if you sleep by your side.
- Medium-soft will suit couples, combination sleepers, and side sleepers, who are lightweight.
- Medium-firm beds will suit heavy sleepers. People with back pain, back sleepers, and combination sleepers can buy this type of bed.
- Firm beds are ideal for heavy sleepers. Back and stomach sleepers and individuals with back pain can choose this level of firmness.
3. Consider the Level of Thickness
The thickness of a mattress plays a major role in your overall ability to get a good night’s sleep. If you are a person not so thin, you might not get the pressure relief in mattresses of different thickness levels. If you are too thick, a mattress with less thickness will make you sink into the mattress. So, choose a level of thickness based on your weight and how comfortable you feel when sleeping. You will come across twin size mattress with as less as 8” thickness to even 13” and above.
4. Does the Mattress Offer Cooling Technology?
If you are a hot sleeper, you should invariably look at whether the twin size mattress that you plan to choose has cooling technology. A mattress with this technology will help with regulating the temperature when you sleep. This technology will help irrespective of the climatic condition prevailing outside.
5. Is It an Organic Mattress?
Yes, similar to organic food supplies, an organic mattress is also made using all-natural materials. The good thing about an organic mattress is that it is not-toxic and it is free of any synthetic materials and harmful chemicals. When you choose a certified organic twin size mattress, it would have been made using a combination of layers of natural wood and/or organic cotton. Even, manufacturers would have used natural organic latex.
So, if you are particular about owning a mattress that is environmentally friendly, you can consider the organic certification. But, remember that certified organic mattresses will have 95% organic substances.
6. How About Owning a Flippable Mattress?
As the name implies, in a flippable mattress, you can use both sides of the mattress. The good thing about a flippable mattress is that it will ensure that the pressure will be spread evenly over the mattress. When you go for a mattress that you can use both sides, the pressure will be spread evenly over the mattress. In turn, you can prevent excessive wear and sag in specific spots. Also, some of them will have different designs on both sides to give a new look to your cot at regular intervals.
7. Do You Need a Low Motion Transfer Feature?
If you have decided to share your twin size mattress with your partner, you should check whether the mattress offers a low motion transfer feature. It will ensure that if your partner twists and turns in the bed, the movement will not disturb your sleep.
8. Check Whether the Mattress Has Edge Support
When a mattress has edge support, it will help with preventing sagging. Without the edge support, your mattress might sag over time. This will particularly happen when you share your twin size mattress.
When you buy a twin size mattress, you can consider the factors discussed above. Remember that comfortable sleep at night is important for your health. Choose the right mattress to ensure this!