How to Choose the Best Loft Beds?
Table of Contents
Top Best Loft Beds Based on Reviews and Price
Why and When Should You Buy a Loft Bed?
If you have a small room for which you need a bed, it might be a bit hard to find a bed that does not take almost all the available floor space. In this situation, a loft bed can turn out to be the best choice for you. If you are new to this term, it is better to first gain a fundamental understanding of what this bed is all about.
Some people confuse loft beds with bunk beds. But, they are different from each other. Of course, a loft bed is a close cousin of a bunk bed. However, both of them have some unique features that will help you differentiate between them.
Loft beds are raised by the support that permits the sleeper to capture the sleeping high feeling. However, it will not have another bunk directly underneath it. Just in case, you find that your room does not have the required space to have both a bed and a desk, a loft bed can the right choice for you. These beds are designed using different materials right from wood to plastic. Even, you can find metal-based loft beds. Now, understanding the pros and cons of a loft bed will help you decide whether this bed can the right choice for you:
Pros of a Loft Bed
- It provides storage space
- It has some built-in features
- It makes effective use of the vertical space in your room.
Cons of a Loft Bed:
The high cost is the main negative aspect associated with a loft bed as stated by most buyers.
Bunk Bed vs Loft Bed
When comparing a bunk bed and loft bed, you will find that the bottom bunk in a bunk bed can be extended to a double bed. In the case of a loft bed, the bottom bunk will be a workstation or a built-in desk.
In general, most bunk beds are made using metal and wood. On the other hand, loft beds are made using different materials like metal, plastic and wood. The top bunk in a bunk bed can be used for storage if required. In a loft bed, the top bunk will be the area dedicated to sleeping. In a bunk bed, there will be multiple sleeping spaces, while in a loft bed there will be limited spaces for sleeping.
Top 8 Factors to Consider When Buying a Loft Bed
Now, you know that you should buy a loft bed when you need both an area to sleep and an area to study for your kid in a single unit. With this knowledge, you might be wondering what to consider when shopping for this bed. Here are some considerations that will help you decide:
1. Consider the Material Used
The most common materials used in the making of loft bed includes wood, metal, and upholstered loft beds. Here are some details to know:
- If you are particular about the durability of the loft bed, you can consider choosing a wood-based bed.
- If you wish that the loft bed should be lightweight to handle, you can consider the metal-based variant. The reason is that nowadays, lighter metals are available. Of course, metals that weigh more than wood is also available. You can choose one based on your requirement. However, the metal should be of good quality, as you know.
- If you wish to get an attractive appearance, you can choose an upholstered loft bed.
In addition to these, loft beds for kids made using plastic material can also be found these days. Should adults be using the loft bed? Make your choice of material accordingly. Ensure that the material is waterproof and resistant to damages.
2. Consider the Headroom Before You Shop for a Loft Bed
Headroom is an essential consideration when you look to buy a loft bed. This is the space that lies between the top of the loft bed and the ceiling. As you will have to climb up to the loft bed and should get down in the morning, you should do these things without hurting yourself. So, considering the overall height of the bed is important before you buy it. It is better to ensure that there is a headroom of at least 30 inches.
3. Consider the Size of the Loft Bed
Apart from considering the headroom, you should also consider the overall size of the loft bed before shopping. Loft beds come in different sizes like twin/single bed, full/double, twin over twin, twin over full, twin XL and full over full.
This decision has to be made based on the number of people, who will be using the loft bed, the space available in the room, and other factors. Just make sure to get a complete measurement of the available space in your room and decide to buy the right loft bed accordingly.
4. How Much Space You Will Get Underneath the Loft Bed?
One of the biggest advantages of loft beds is the additional floor space that you can get. The space you will get relies on the height of the loft bed as well. As a general rule, you can expect around 50.5 inches of space underneath the loft bed and an 8’ feet ceiling bed. When you choose a 9’ ceiling bed, you can expect a space of 55.5 inches and in the case of a 10’ ceiling bed, you can expect 63 inches of space underneath.
5. Consider the Weight Limits of the Loft Bed
Remember that all loft beds are not made with the same weight-bearing ability. Some have a less weight-bearing ability just because they are meant for kids. On the other hand, some are for adults with better weight-bearing capacity. So, you should consider this aspect based on whom you plan to buy the loft bed for.
6. Should You Have Guardrails in the Loft Bed?
In general, most loft beds for adults do not come with guardrails. But, in the case of loft beds meant for kids, you will find that most of them have guardrails. Even, it is better to check whether the loft bed has guardrails if you buy it for adult usage. The reason is that a fall from the loft can cause major health issues in some instances. They are meant for your safety.
So, you can consider whether they are present before you buy a loft bed. It is better to ensure that the guardrails are at least 5 inches height from the base of the bed.
7. Consider Buying a Loft Bed with Storage Space
You are planning to buy a loft bed mainly for the space constraints you have in your home. So, it would be a good idea to consider buying a loft bed that has storage spaces to meet your requirements. Some of them will have shelves to store essential things, while some will have hangers to hang the clothes. Even, some of them will have drawers with the facility to lock. You can compare different loft beds and can choose an impressive one with storage space.
8. What Type of Features Can You Expect From the Loft Bed?
As you can judge, features can play a major role in enhancing your comfort level when using a loft bed. So, it is better to keep yourself aware of the features you can expect before you shop for a loft bed. Here are some details to be aware of:
- Detachable Guardrails: As mentioned earlier, it is safe to have guardrails. But, you might not need them when you sleep in the afternoons. So, you can consider whether you can attach and detach the guardrails as per your requirements.
- Green certification: When you compare loft beds, you will find that a few of them have green certification. It means that they ensure reduced chemical exposure. In turn, you can get the satisfaction of using a safe bed.
- Built-in Ladder: As you are planning to buy a loft bed, it will not be easy to reach the loft without a ladder. So, to ensure double-comfort, you can check whether the unit has a built-in ladder. As against a ladder that can be attached every time, you can consider a unit with a built-in ladder.
- Bookcase: Some people have the habit of reading books before bedtime. If you are one such person, you can consider buying a loft bed with a bookcase underneath. This will help you choose a book before reaching the loft for sleeping. The next morning when you get down, you can again keep the book in the case in an organized manner.
- Crib under: If you have a new member in your family, you will be sharing the loft bed with your kids. In this case, if the underneath of the loft bed is empty, you can just place the crib underneath. But, make sure that your baby gets enough air to breathe comfortably.
A loft bed is an excellent space saver as you know. To ensure the best outcome from your investment, you can consider the factors mentioned above in shopping for this bed.