10 Best Patio Umbrella Stands and Buying Guide
Table of Contents
Editor Pick Patio Umbrella Stands
Patio Umbrella Stands And Bases
Patios are now gaining more recognition and becoming an integral part of home decor. Homeowners are spending a lot of effort and resources creating the perfect outdoor space. There are numerous ways you can achieve this, and one of them is having patio umbrellas in your outdoor area.
Nothing is more soothing than enjoying the outdoor view and air with loved ones. However, it can quickly become intolerable when the sun is at its brightest. And while patio umbrellas will provide you with the shade you need, they are useless without suitable stands and bases.
Patio umbrella stands and bases will ensure that the wind does not easily toss your umbrellas. Here is the only guide you need to buy the best patio umbrella stands and bases.
Why You Should Invest in Patio Umbrella Stands And Bases
There are several reasons you should invest in patio umbrella stands and bases. Here are some of them.
They Are Dependable
You should invest in patio umbrella stands and bases primarily because of their dependability. Patio umbrellas are useless without stands and bases. You can use your patio umbrella easily when you have a stand that fits. The main aim of a base is to complement your patio umbrella. A patio umbrella stand and base can provide you with the needed comfort on all occasions.
Patio Umbrella Stands And Bases Are Assorted
The assortment of patio umbrella stands and bases allows you to choose the one that suits your needs and preferences. You can only correctly utilize your patio umbrella when you have a stand. Patio umbrella stands and bases are available in a variety of materials. And it doesn’t matter the kind or style of patio umbrella you have; you have numerous options of stands and bases that would work with it.
They Are Affordable
Patio umbrella stands and bases are inexpensive. You don’t have to spend so much before you get the one that will work seamlessly with your patio umbrella. This makes them easily accessible to everyone. You can buy them online or at any store near you without breaking the bank. And with their value, patio umbrella stands and bases are a wise investment.
You Can Use Them to Decorate Your Outdoor Area
Patio umbrella stands and bases can also be decorative accessories for your outdoor space. They will add more aesthetics to your patio and also help to elevate the general allure of your outdoor area. There are numerous patio umbrella stands and base designs on the market to choose from. So, you will have issues finding the one that best suits your outdoor decor needs.
Factors to Consider Before Choosing Patio Umbrella Stands And Bases
Choosing the proper patio umbrella stand and base for your outdoor area depends on some crucial factors. These factors will help you to make a better-informed buying decision. Here are some of them.
Which Material Works Best For Patio Umbrella Stands And Bases?
Any stand and base you go for must be sturdy. This is because it will be holding a large patio umbrella. You must also never forget that your umbrella stand and base will be outdoors. So, you must choose a material that can conveniently withstand harsh weather conditions. The material you choose for your stand and base must not just be based on aesthetics but also on sturdiness and durability. Here are some typical patio umbrella stands and bases to get you started.
● Stone/Resin Composite: this material does not need painting and is more durable and sturdy than stone. It will also not rust. For weight, you don’t need to fill this material with water or sand. Some bases and stands made with stone/resin composite have wheels allowing more accessible storage. This material is pretty durable and works perfectly. However, they are heavyweight.
● Ripstop Nylon (Stuffed With Sand): this material is made using a round sandbag that will conveniently fit around the umbrella’s base. This sandbag must also be a material that can be velcroed on. It has an opening you can use to fill the bag whenever you need to. This material is considerably affordable. If you are on a budget and looking for an ideal way to prevent your patio umbrella from blowing away, ripstop nylon is a perfect choice. This material is flexible and can easily be carried around. However, it can start to develop holes after some time.
● Four-Piece Plastic (Fan-Shaped): you can fill each piece with water or sand to offer the weight you need. This material won’t rip easily like ripstop nylon material. It’s also effortless to maintain and manage, unlike metal stands that have been mounted permanently. However, the material can become weak after using it for a while.
● Bolted Metal Stand: this material comes with a tiny footprint. You can easily bolt it to wood or concrete decking. The umbrella pole’s holder can brace this material to slightly various positions. Bolted metal stands are significantly easy to mount and are flexible. However, the bolts can trim off. So, they will pull out with time if you place them in wood.
Fixed Installation or Freestanding Base: Which do You Want?
Before choosing the stand for your patio umbrella, you have to decide if you want to station your umbrella in one location or if you want to be able to move them whenever you want. This will help you to decide the type of installation your stand and base should have and the material. Here are the two typical installations.
● Fixed Installation: if you want optimal safety and stability of your patio umbrella, you should consider getting a base with the fixed installation option. It is the perfect option for cantilever umbrellas that are more susceptible and vulnerable to wind due to their design. A base with the fixed installation option eliminates the risk of the wind blowing your patio umbrella away. There are various types of bases with fixed installation options. Some of them include concrete slab/patio, wood decking, etc.
● Freestanding Base: with a freestanding base, you can quickly move your patio umbrella easily from one location to another. If you have numerous existing furniture settings in your outdoor area that you want your umbrella to provide shade for, then you should consider going for a freestanding base. Freestanding bases are also an ideal choice if you want to keep changing the location of your patio umbrella as the sun moves through the day or live in a rented property where you are not allowed to do the fixed installation. Additionally, you might have some issues with installing on rooftop terraces or balconies due to waterproofing. Freestanding bases are also the best and safer choice for these settings.
What Should Be the Weight Of Your Base?
It is imperative to consider the size of your patio umbrella before buying your patio umbrella stands and bases. Choosing the right weight for your patio umbrella stands and bases can be challenging. However, it becomes simple with the right guide to follow.
Generally, the rule of thumb to follow when choosing the base of your weight is more significant. This is because the more extensive your patio umbrella is, the heavier its base must be. Larger umbrellas will need sturdy and large bases.
You also need to consider the location you would be using your base. Will people randomly bump into it or constantly move it around? Is it necessary for it to fit under a table? Does your outdoor space have a lot of traffic? Is your environment a high-wind area?. The answers to these questions will help you determine the weight your base should have.
For environments with high winds and high traffic, it will be better to go for more extensive and heavier stands and bases. This will prevent your patio umbrella from getting blown away. However, a simple math calculation is needed to decide the suitable base weight for your patio umbrella.
All you have to do is measure the diameter of your patio umbrella in feet. After you have gotten the measurement, multiply it by ten. For instance, if the canopy of your patio umbrella is 8 feet, you would need at least 80 pounds of weight to secure and hold it down. A 10 feet canopy would require a base that weighs 100 pounds or more.
Additionally, this doesn’t mean you can’t use a lighter base for your patio umbrella. It depends on your needs, preferences, and the weather conditions of your environment. This is why it is safer to use the above mathematics rule to get the correct weight of the base you would use for your patio umbrella.
Patio umbrella stands and bases are a must-have for every outdoor umbrella. They are incredibly reliable and would ensure your umbrella is not tossed to and from by the wind. However, there are vital factors you must consider before buying your patio umbrella stands and bases. They include the type of material you want your base to have, the installation option you prefer, and the right weight for your base. Following this guide, you will have no issues choosing suitable patio umbrella stands and bases.