Top 10 Best Rain Barrels Reviews and Buying Guide
Table of Contents
Rain barrels are containers used to collect and store rainwater. They help with gathering water that falls on rooftops, gutters, and downspouts. They are typically placed beneath the downspouts of a building’s gutter system. Also, these barrels can hold anywhere from 50 to 100 gallons or more of rainwater.
Rain barrels can be made of various materials such as plastic, metal or wood. They come with a spigot at the bottom for easy access to the collected water. Some rain barrels also include a filter to prevent debris from entering the container. Also, most of them come with a lid to keep mosquitoes and other pests out.
You can use the rain water collected in these barrels for a variety of purposes. For instance, you can use the water for watering plants, gardens, or lawns. Even, you can use the water for washing cars, or even for flushing toilets. Using rainwater in this way can help reduce water bills. Also, you can gain the satisfaction of conserving water resources. The same will happen when you mitigate stormwater runoff with these barrels.
1. 551000901A5681 Home Accents Polyethylene 50 US Gallon Flat Back Rain Barrel from RTS Companies
RTS companies offer these rain barrels in different forms. This particular model comes with a stand. Also, you can find options without a stand and two-pack barrels from this company. This barrel has been made using polyurethane material. Due to this material, this barrel is impact resistant. Also, it has been UV stabilized to get rid of the probability of fading.
You might wonder what makes this barrel unique. It is nothing but its unique flat-back design. It means that this barrel can sit flush against any wall. It is equipped with a durable brass spigot. It even encompasses a screen to keep debris away.
- Polyurethane barrel but has the authentic oak barrel design
- Comes with a flat back for easy placement against any wall
- Holds 190 liters/50 US gallons of water
- It has been UV stabilized to prevent fading
- Comes with a stand that makes it easy to fill the water
- During heavy rainfall water spills out as the hole in the top is not in the shape of a downspout
2. 50 Gallon Collapsible Rain Barrel from VINGLI
You can choose one of the two colors in which these rain barrels come. Yes, you can choose either a black or green color barrel. It comes with a filter spigot overflow kit. The zipper on the top is a dual-way zipper for easy access to the water stored in the barrel.
To make sure that clean water alone gets into the barrel, it comes with a filter at the inlet. There is an outlet in the barrel for overflowing water so that the overflow will not cause any mess. When not in use, you can fold away this barrel.
- You can fold away this rain barrel when not in use
- A space-saving design will help families with space constraints
- Made with PVC frame and anti-corrosion PVC mesh fabric
- It has been made as a durable and crack-free barrel against traditional barrels
- The water outflow valve will prevent the overflow of water
- The framing system does not provide better support to this barrel
3. 53 Gallon Portable Rain Barrel Water Tank from LOSTRONAUT Store
Collapsible rain barrels save space as you can fold them away when not in use. This barrel is also collapsible and you can assemble and store it with ease. Due to its collapsibility, this barrel is undoubtedly a portable option.
This barrel has been built with the highest quality duty three-ply PVC Material. Also, the zippers are made super-tough for long-term use. It has been built to last outdoors as it is resistant to freeze, cold, UV and heat.
- Collapsible barrel with an impressive 53-gallon capacity
- Made using the highest-quality 3-ply PVC material
- Comes with six sturdy legs for better stability
- Comes with 25 colorful garden tags
- You will get high flow spigot and downspout spigot with this barrel
- It is not easy to get water out of this barrel for usage
4. 551000802A8081 100% Recycled Polyethylene 2-50 Gallon Flat Back Barrel
When you buy this product, you will get two rain barrels. Above all, this unit comes with a link kit for connecting both these barrels. The flat back of these barrels ensures that you can easily place them against walls. They will not occupy much space.
The 50-gallon barrels are made using polyethylene material. In each barrel, the authentic oak barrel texture has been molded. These barrels are made from 100% recycled commercial grade 12-year UV-stabilized polyurethane material.
- With this product, you will get two barrels
- You can easily connect both these barrels with the connection kit you will get with this product
- Also, you will get a couple of rain barrel stands, brass spigots, hose barbs and a couple of aluminum screens.
- The flat back design makes placement against walls easy
- Made using polyurethane material
- Cannot withstand freezing climatic conditions
5. Black RC45 Rain Barrel from FCMP
With a huge 170 L or 45-gallon capacity, these rain barrels are from FCMP. These barrels come with a hanging hose clip, shut-off thumb valve, garden hose and also debris screen.
The flat back and the shallower depth in this barrel will help with easy placement and installation of the downspout respectively. To keep your pet and kid safe from falling into the barrel, it comes with a safety rib on the top. To keep out debris, it comes with a corrosion-resistant screen.
- Made using 100% BPA-free polyurethane
- UV-inhibited and 100% Recycled polyurethane has been used to make this barrel
- Comes with a screen with corrosion-resistant properties to prevent debris from getting into the stored water
- Comes with a flat back and shallower depth
- Includes hanging hose clip
- Leaks in the place where the hose meets the barrel
6. Rain Barrel Upgrade 100G Anti-Collapse Collapsible Rainwater Barrel from KMJETNIVY Store
You can buy these rain barrels in one of the six color choices available. You can collect around 50 to 100 barrels of rainwater in this unit. Comes with three outlet valves. They are already fixed and need no installation. All you have to do is just slightly tighten the valves before using the barrel.
The rain barrels are made out of anti-corrosion PVC Mesh and PVC frame. The mesh offers upgraded fabric flexibility. The manufacturer of this product assures double the time longer service life as compared to other rain barrels in the market. You can use this product longer in cold winter seasons.
- Foldable rain barrel
- Comes fitted with three outlet valves
- Made using PVC frame and anti-corrosion PVC Mesh
- Assures double the time longer service life compared to other rain barrels in the market
- You can collect 50 to 100 gallons of rainwater in this barrel
- The plastic poles in this collapsible barrel are not stronger enough to support the weight of a water-filled barrel
7. 100 Gallon Rain Barrel from Golflame
Foldable rain barrels can save space if you have space constraints. This barrel is one such barrel that you can fold when not in use. Its capacity is 100 gallons and its shape is cylindrical.
It comes with a water inlet hole with a mesh design to prevent debris from getting into the tank. The top has a dual-way zipper design to easily take out the stored water. Comes with a built-in mesh filter.
- The top mesh has been designed to keep away animals and mesh
- Also, you can easily remove the mesh for cleaning
- A collapsible rain barrel will save you space when not in use
- Made using PVC frame and anti-corrosion PVC mesh cloth
- Durable material ensures long-term use and stability
- Not sturdy enough to withstand warm climatic conditions
8. Collapsible Reservoir Water Tank 265 Gallon Water Storage Barrel Container from Grow1
These rain barrels are made using lightweight material yet they are durable. They are made using durable PVC material. Also, they are lightweight and made to withstand bad weather damage with ease.
The flexible collapsible design of this unit makes it the best choice for easy storage and transport needs. You need no tools to assemble this barrel. You can assemble within minutes and can store water and even can move it anywhere.
- Collapsible rain barrel
- Made using heavy-duty and flexible PVC Material
- The material used is UV protected and lightweight
- Comes with a removable top straining screen
- Comes with a tap and valve system for easy usage of stored water
- The gaskets provided with this unit to prevent leaks are very thin and they make water leak
9. Collapsible Rain Barrel from Vivosun
With these collapsible rain barrels, you can hold nearly 100 gallons of rainwater. The water inlet hold in this barrel has been designed to prevent bugs from getting inside. It also prevents overfilling from the top seal.
To prevent leakage, this unit comes with rubber rings to be placed on the inside and outside of the barrel. These barrels are made using 1000D Oxford fabric with thickened PVC coating. This facility ensures that breakage and freezing are prevented.
- Collapsible rainwater barrel
- Comes with two rings to prevent water leakage
- Has a faucet with a switch that will help fill small spray cans and buckets
- Comes with a drain valve for connecting your hose to water plants from the water stored in the barrel
- An overflowing valve prevents water from overflowing from the top closure.
- Made using tarp material and the legs are made using cheap plastic.
10. 50G Anti-Collapse Collapsible Rainwater Collection System from KMJETNIVY Store
You can find these rain barrels of 50-gallon capacity in 6 different color choices from this store. This cylindrical-shape barrel has been made using Polyvinyl Chloride material.
This barrel comes equipped with three outlet valves. As they come pre-installed, you need not have to do any installation yourself. All you have to do is to tighten the valves before use. This unit is foldable. So, you can easily carry it anywhere or can fold it away when not in use.
- Comes with a lid with a recessed design for easy water collection quickly
- If you are looking for a contemporary-style barrel, this unit can help
- Comes with added components and an installation procedure
- Foldable design to save space when not in use
- Has an anti-collapse structure
- The faucet seals look cheap
How to Choose the Best Rain Barrels?
1. Size and Capacity
When you compare rain barrels, you should keep the amount of rainfall in your area in mind. Also, you should consider the size of your roof. If the roof is larger and gathers more water, a larger rain barrel might be required.
In the same way, the capacity of the barrel will determine how much water you can store. In case, you plan to use the water gathered by the barrel for multiple purposes, you might need a unit with a larger capacity.
Rain barrels can be made of different materials such as plastic, metal, or wood. Plastic barrels are often the most affordable and lightweight. On the other hand, metal and wood may be more durable and aesthetically pleasing. Even, modern-day barrels are made using polyurethane material that can withstand harsh climatic conditions.
3. Overflow and Drainage
When you compare rain barrels, it is better to ensure that you go for a unit with an overflow system. In turn, you can prevent water from overflowing during heavy rains. Also, it is better to check whether the unit has a drainage system to prevent stagnant water.
4. Collapsible Design
When not in use, you can easily store away from rain barrels without occupying much space. These are called collapsible rain barrels. But, when opting for this type, check whether the barrel is sturdy enough to withstand once water is loaded.
5. Lid and Screen
Rain barrels should have a tight-fitting lid to keep debris and insects out. Also, barrels with a screen on the inlet can prevent leaves and debris from entering the barrel.
Among the rain barrels that we reviewed here, we feel that 551000901A5681 Home Accents Polyethylene 50 US Gallon Flat Back Rain Barrel from RTS Companies is the best. The reason is that this unit comes with a stand. So, you can easily fill water bottles and vessels as the spigot stays raised from the ground. Also, this unit has a flat back. It means that you can store it against any wall with ease. Further, this unit has been made using polyurethane to withstand harsh climatic conditions.