How to Choose the Best Coffee Percolator?
Table of Contents
Top Best Coffee Percolators Based on Reviews and Price
What is Coffee Percolator?
Often confused with the espresso machine or the electric filter coffee machine, the percolator is mainly characterized by its capacity to produce coffee in very large quantities compared to the latter.
It is most often used in professional environments, whether in restaurants, hotels or offices. It is particularly essential for associations, communities, receptions and various parties. The machine is also renowned for automatically keeping the coffee warm for several hours. And that’s not all. Almost all models of percolators also allow you to prepare simple hot water, just like a kettle.
Are you looking for a professional or family-use percolator, but don’t know which model to choose? We have prepared a detailed buying guide for you. This will certainly be useful in your purchase. This guide includes criteria to consider during the choosing process. So follow our lead!
Top 8 Factors to Consider When Buying a Coffee Percolator
#1 The Different Types of Coffee Percolator
An automatic or semi-automatic percolator is present on most espresso machines dedicated for use at home or in the professional environment. This type of device is generally well-designed and more aesthetic, with a record preparation time for drinks. The device takes care of everything and is even equipped with the self-cleaning and descaling function. This, however, considerably increases its price.
More of a manual device, this percolator model is suitable for catering professionals. It offers excellent and quality coffee, especially since it allows you to make different types of coffee with different aromas and flavors at the same time. This device also offers the possibility of coffee-dosing according to the desires of the drinker, and it ensures fast service.
This is ideal for those who want to drink a large bowl of coffee in the morning and a good tight espresso in the evening. The combined percolator performs two functions at the same time. It makes filter coffee and espresso at the same time.
It is the most sophisticated model. However, it produces a weaker coffee than that obtained from an espresso machine due to the lack of pressure. The percolator is an essential device for both professionals and individuals who organize large parties very often. Easy to use, it will produce a coffee rich in aromas for all guests.
#2 The Use of the Percolator
In general, the percolator is designed for intensive use. This is why it was originally intended for professionals in commercial houses such as restaurants or bars. Manufactured in fairly large dimensions, this device has several coffee chambers that facilitate the preparation of several cups of coffee simultaneously.
Today, professional coffee machines no longer have a monopoly on percolation thanks to the appearance of capsule models. Practical and more compact, they are increasingly used in households and businesses in open space.
The choice of a percolator will depend on the number of people. The more people there are, the more it will be necessary to choose a large capacity percolator, which can produce, for example, 90 to 100 cups of coffee. This may be needed for large events and special occasions, such as brunch, wedding, town party or others. For a smaller number of people, for example, family reunions, you can be satisfied with a percolator capable of producing around 40 cups of coffee.
So, you must first think about the capacity of the device to choose a percolator. To do this, you will only have to ask yourself: How many approximate cups of coffee will I need to fill in one brewing round? It is no use buying a large device with a large capacity when you do not need it. Why not a coffee maker in this case?
You have to note that it’s called stovetop not because you have to use it on a stove. In fact, it can use any heat source whatsoever; for example, a wood stove or a campfire. Stovetop models of percolators need hands-on approaches in monitoring the brewing time and heat. They are best for experienced and professional coffee brewers.
#4 Pressure Bars
An espresso percolator is distinguished from other coffee makers by its pressure. The pressure in the coffee machine is different from one model to another. In the case of a percolator, it is expressed in the bar and defines the speed at which hot water will pass over the coffee beans. We advise you to choose a model with at least 15 bars of pressure. Even, you can go up to 19 bars if possible so that the coffee can flow quickly.
This pressure will depend on the performance of the appliance. The higher it is, the better the quality of the coffee that comes out of it will be. If you like lighter tasting coffee, turn to a Nespresso or Tassimo pressure capsule machine, which is around 15 bars.
In fact, this pressure level must be combined with an efficient pump. This will allow water to be transported quickly to the level of the tank or the main tube. The faster it is, the more the coffee will cool more slowly and will have more flavor.
#5 Machine Power
In terms of machine power, we above all recommend high power in very large capacity containers. This can, therefore, go up to more than 1600 watts for 15-liter percolators. This power will be necessary, in particular, to speed up the coffee preparation time as much as possible for very bulky models. 900 to 1,200 watts of power will be enough for smaller models. But they can take up to an hour or so on the brewing process.
#6 Safety of The Device
Before you choose a percolator, you must check whether your device meets the conditions necessary to guarantee safety. Remember it is an electrical device.
Under no circumstances should the electronic parts of the device be visible and accessible. This is because there’s a risk of water infiltrating everywhere. Therefore, it could be dangerous.
#7 Important Functionality
There are several things to consider to optimize the use of your device.
- Insulated Walls: Make sure that the model you are interested in has insulated walls to avoid getting burned during any handling. Also ensure there’s the presence of a general switch, as well as a safety thermostat with automatic reset.
- Anti-drip tap: The anti-drip tap is a great way to allow diners to clean themselves as they please.
- Filling level indicator: The filling level indicator which tells you how much coffee is left inside the appliance is also an important feature.
- Heat-insulating handles: Some are also fitted with a heat-insulating handle. This is like a locking lid which prevents the device from being opened accidentally.
- Cup holder: In the case of a professional percolator used in a restaurant or at a reception, the ideal will be to orient your choice towards a model equipped with a cup holder. It’s also great to have the product delivered with a water filter, a molding tamper, and a permanent filter.
- Bean-operated device: For those who want to taste good freshly brewed coffee, there’s nothing more authentic than a bean-operated device. But make sure that it incorporates a bean grinder.
- Automatic warming function: Also, do not forget to consider the presence of the automatic warming function as soon as the brewing process is finished. The duration here can go up to more than 10 hours with certain devices. And if you want to benefit from a true 2-in-1 device, make sure it can prepare hot water to make tea or herbal tea.
- Water tank & dispenser: Opt for a removable water tank; it’s easier to handle.
- Coffee dispenser: Some machines offer a coffee dispenser. This is especially useful for not spending your time cleaning up coffee beans that have fallen on your kitchen worktop. Always as practical: it gives you the possibility of preparing two cups of coffee simultaneously.
- Self-cleaning feature: Finally, some high-end models incorporate the “self-cleaning” function. This greatly facilitates the maintenance of the machine.
Unlike espresso machines that require a certain technique in handling the appliance, the percolator does not require any particular mastery. It can be used by everyone since it suffices to fill the water tank, pour the right amount of coffee and switch on the device.
However, there some whose features make them complicated to use. So, for effective usage, ensure your device is well-stuffed in terms of specifications and functional aspects explained in the previous point.
Wrapping It Up
Buying a percolator is a real investment. Made in large dimensions, this is what sets it apart from all the other coffee machines on the market. Indeed, the smallest percolators can prepare about 4 liters of coffee.
Meanwhile, the largest can produce 16 liters. It will, therefore, be necessary to take this characteristic into account before purchasing your device. Choose devices with a heating system. It will keep your coffee warm all the time of your discussions.
And if you want a high-end device, you can take the one that has the functions for automatic cleaning and descaling. The machines delivered with a water filter, a molding or a cup holder are also greatly appreciated. Never forget the temperature setting and the overheating protection feature.
Nothing should be overlooked. Be it in terms of performance, quality, safety, functionality, capacity, or power. Now, everything is at your disposal to make your task as efficient as possible. We hope this guide will help you choose the best percolator you need.