Top 10 Best Pie Crust Baking Mixes Reviews
Table of Contents
Top Pick Pie Crust Baking Mixes
Pie Crust Making – Easy with Pie Crust Baking Mix
Are you an ardent fan of pie? Then, you might have thought of making pie at least once at home. Thanks to pie crust baking mixes! They will help you with making pie crust with the right consistency ideal for baking pies. You are in the right place to learn more about this mix:
What is a Pie Crust Baking Mix?
A pie crust baking mix is a pre-mixed powder with the right combination of ingredients to make pie crusts. In general, a pie crust is not easy to make. Apart from requiring different ingredients, you should combine them in the right ratio to create pie crust in the right consistency. You might be an expert in making fillings for pies. But, you might be facing issues with making the exterior crust. This is where pie crust baking mixes come as a handy solution to a newbie or busy cook like you.
What Does Pie Crust Mix Taste Like?
A pie crust mix will not have any taste in reality. It might have a sweet or salt taste based on how it is made. If you have tasted pie, you might have experienced that the crust gets its taste only from the filling used inside. In the same way, even the best pie crust mix will only have a bland taste. However, you can engage in some innovativeness when you intend to use the crust readily available in the market.
If you are wondering why should you buy pie crust mixes when you can make crust at home, here are some reasons to consider:
- The best pie crust mixes will help you save money as you need not have to buy each ingredient separately to make the mix at your home.
- Further, in addition to buying the ingredients, you will have to combine them in the right ratio. Only then, you will get pie crust in the right consistency. But, a pie crust baking mix will save you as it will have the ingredients mixed in the right ratio.
Is Pie Crust Baking Mix Healthy?
When you get the right pie crust mixes, you can make sure that you can make a pie crust that is healthy for your family. Here are some health benefits you can get with healthy mixes:
Healthy heart: When you buy the best pie crust mixes that contain olive oil instead of butter, you can make sure that your family can get a healthy heart even when they consume pies regularly. Otherwise, you can also choose the mix made using canola oil, which is again less in cholesterol content, thereby making a heart-healthy food for your family.
Rich in Fiber: You know that when the best pie crust mix is rich in fiber, it will bring many health benefits. So, as against buying a mix made using multipurpose flour, you can choose a mix made using whole wheat flour, which is rich in fiber content. Richness in fiber in your diet will help with improving your gut health.
Get Healthy Nutrients: When you choose the best pie crust mixes made using nuts, you can make sure that your family gets healthy nutrients from the pies they consume. It will add tons of flavor to your pie as well.
In short, pie crust baking mixes are healthy only when the right choice is done.
How to Make Pie Crust Baking Mix Taste Good?
As mentioned earlier, a pie crust baking mix will not have any specific taste. However, you can improve its taste by doing some magical things in the way you cook it. Here are some ideas to help you concerning this:
- Only when you mix the pie crust mix rightly, you will get the crust with the right consistency. The thing to remember here is that the right consistency will naturally enhance the overall taste. For instance, if the crust is hard, you will not be able to get the taste of the filling. On the other hand, if it is too soft, the filling will overpower the overall taste. So, to get the right consistency, the dough you make with the mix should not be too dry.
- Do you find that the dough is very much dry and does not stick together? It is better to use ice water for mixing. When you have already added water, add ice water one tablespoon at a time. Mix a spoon of ice water and check whether it is still dry. If so, add one more spoon and again check and stop once you get the desired consistency.
- Have you added the suggested level of water and still the dough continues to be dry? If your answer is affirmative, the fat might not have reached the dough. So, try kneading it again briefly.
- Do you find cracks in the dough you have made using pie crust mixes? If so, you might have chilled the dough for a long. In this case, try kneading the dough again and roll to find whether cracks are still present.
- Before you roll the crust after mixing the best pie crust mix with the required water, leave only a few minutes. Check whether the flour has hydrated all through the dough before you roll.
- To prevent cracking, make sure that you have rolled the dough evenly.
- If you find small cracks or tears, you can try filling them with a little quantity of water along the crack. Otherwise, you can pull the dough again and roll it again.
Thanks to the best pie crust baking mixes. Earlier, cooks had a very tough time in deciding the right consistency of pie crust. But, now most mixes help with making crust in the right consistency will clear instruction on how to do it.
What Features Should You Consider When Buying Pie Crust Baking Mix?
Here are some features that will help you choose the right pie crust baking mix:
No preservatives and artificial flavors: When you buy pie crust mixes, make sure to check whether the pack reads no preservatives and artificial flavors. The reason is that they are not good for health.
Gluten-free mix: Some people keep away from even the best pie crust mixes. The reason is that they know that this mix contains flour that is high in gluten level. When they consume it, they face issues with their health as they are allergic to gluten. But, if one of your family members is allergic to gluten, the best thing you can do is to choose a gluten-free mix.
Certified Kosher: If you follow Jewish rules, it is better to check whether the best pie crust mix that you have shortlisted is certified Kosher. When the label gives this assurance, you can make sure that your family does not go against Jewish regulations.
Non-Dairy: If your family follows a vegan diet, you can consider buying pie crust baking mixes that are free of dairy products. Right from the product label, you can get to know whether a mix encompasses dairy products or not. In the place of dairy products, some other fatty substance would have been added to make the mix. So, it would be better to ensure that a healthy alternative has been used for dairy before you choose a pack of pie crust mix.
Baking Instructions: Further, when you compare pie crust mixes, it would be better to check whether the package has clear instructions on how to make a crust in the right consistency. It should give the instruction on how much water to use and how much oil or other fat substance should be used and how to bake to achieve crusts with the right consistency.
Fortified with vitamins and minerals: Naturally, you will be interested in making sure that the best pie crust mix is something that will bring the best health benefit to your family. So, before you choose a pack, it is better to check whether it reads that the product has been fortified with healthy vitamins and minerals.
How Much Does Top-Rated Pie Crust Baking Mix Cost?
Are you particular about buying a high-end pie crust baking mix? Then, you can find options at around $80. But, are you planning to start with an affordable pie crust mix as you wish to try it for the first time? Then, you can find affordable pie crust mixes at around $5. The average cost will be around $40 in short.
Pie is an all-time favorite snack in many homes. But, you need not have to buy this snack for your family. You can gain the satisfaction of providing your family with healthy pies by choosing the best pie crust baking mix and using healthy fillings like dry fruits, fruits, nuts and even veggies. You know that you have complete liberty in trying out the inner filling in different ways. All that you should ensure is that it should be tasty and also healthy for your family to relish.