Top 10 Best Soy Sauce – Reviews and Buying Guide
Table of Contents
Dressings and sauces are an essential part of several cuisines around the world. Everyone loves the added layers of flavors that come with these sauces.
Every part of the world offers its unique flavors for food. Asian regions are no different as they are famous for their sauces and spices.
One such sauce is soy sauce that has been part of several Asian cuisines for over 2,500 years. Now chefs from other continents are also incorporating it in their food.
What is Soy Sauce?
It is a fermented sauce made from soybeans. This sauce is a dark brown to almost black liquid and has salt, soybeans and other grains in it. The color of the sauce depends on its consistency.
The Unique Flavor of Soy Sauce
There is no specific flavor that we can describe for this sauce as it differs from region to region, depending on how it is being made. The sauce, in general, has an earthy taste that has a tinge of sourness that is not overwhelming.
1. Kishibori Shoyu
Kishibori Shoyu is a soy sauce that is an artisan in nature and is imported straight from the Seto Inland Sea in Japan. The unique flavors of soy sauce are all because of the place of its origin.
- It uses whole soybeans, wheat, and salt. The salt used in this sauce is of exceptional quality as it was extracted from the sea and then dried under natural sunlight.
- Creating this soy sauce is quite elaborated and plays an integral part in enhancing its flavors.
- All the ingredients used to make this soy sauce are fermented and stored in barrels for one year.
- Preparing this soy sauce is slow and includes none additives to increase its shelf life.
Using this soy sauce would mean that you’ll be enjoying a delicious dressing with umami and earthy flavors without endangering your health.
2. Kikkoman Manjo AjiMirin
AjiMirinis not a soy sauce but it serves the same purpose. Its flavors are unique yet retain the property of a soy sauce.
- The ingredients used to make this product is glucose syrup, water, alcohol, rice corn syrup, and salt. These ingredients make it taste slightly sweet but still enriched.
- The product can be used not only as a sauce or a dressing but also as a critical ingredient for marinating vegetables, meat, and poultry.
AjinMirin is from Japan and is made to provide your food with a deep, sweet flavor.
3. Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos
Most people might avoid soy sauce because of the high sodium content. Coconut Aminos can be a possible low sodium alternative for them.
- It is made from the coconut tree sap and has sun-dried salt in it. The dangers it poses to your health are almost none.
- Coconut Amino is a purely organic, non-GMO, Gluten-free, vegan product. There are absolutely no additives added in it that can harm your health.
- One thing that sets it apart from other soy sauce is its amino content. It is a known fact that amino acids are the building blocks for protein, and a high content of amino acids in this sauce increases its nutritional value.
- One bottle of Coconut Aminos has 8 Oz of this sauce that allows you to serve 96 servings in total. This specific deal offers two bottles of Coconut Aminos in a discounted price.
If you are looking to keep your sodium intake in check, then this product should be your choice as a soy sauce alternative.
4. Lee Kum Kee Premium Dark Soy Sauce
Not only Japan, but China too is famous for its traditional Soy Sauce production. Lee Kum Kee is a known name in the soy sauce industry that strictly follows the traditional method of fermenting soybeans.
- These natural and traditional methods enhance their earthy flavors. The consistency of this sauce is concentrated in a dark color.
- The ingredients used in this soy sauce is not exclusive as they are the same ones used in all soy sauces. Wheat, salt, soybean, and water are the base ingredients, whereas additives like Disodium 5-Inosinate and Disodium 5-Guanylate are also part of the ingredients.
If you are looking for a more enhanced soy flavor, then Lee lsKumKee Premium Dark Soy Sauce might be for you!
5. Yamasa Soy Sauce
Yamasa Soy Sauce is the most exceptional soy sauce that Japan offers. Yamasa Corporation is known for its traditional and creamy flavored sauce for four centuries now.
- The world has changed over the years but not the taste of Yamasa Soy Sauce! It stays rich, earthy, and aromatic with a tinge of spiciness.
- Yamasa has its secret recipe with only a few ingredients disclosed. Japan’s most excellent restaurants and skilled chefs have recommended this special soy sauce.
- One bottle of Yamasa Soy Sauce contains 34 fluid ounce that can last for a few months, depending on the frequency of use.
If you are looking for a sauce manufacturer that has years of experience and many praises to prove their worthiness, then Yamasa Soy Sauce should be your pick!
6. Bragg Aminos Liquid All-Purpose Seasoning
Soy Sauce has a particular taste that is unrivaled, but people still look for alternatives. What better choice than an all-purpose seasoning?
- Bragg Aminos Liquid is rich in amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins. It has a similar taste to soy sauce but a different aftertaste.
- Ingredients used in this seasoning are closer to what manufacturers use in Soy Sauce, but a few additional components are enough to tweak its flavor.
- It is essential to mention that all the ingredients used in this seasoning are natural. It has a certification for being non-GMO and is widely known as a gluten-free product.
This unique seasoning is more than just a soy sauce and can be used in a variety of dishes. If you are looking for variation in seasoning but without steering away from the earthy flavors of soy sauce, then buy this seasoning.
7. San-J Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce
San-J as a company was established around two centuries ago. It makes not only Tamari Premium Soy Sauce but many natural sauces, dressings, soups, etc. Due to its popularity, it has branched out outside of Japan and has established brews around the world, especially in the United States and Canada.
- The soybeans used in this sauce are more than what manufacturers use in ordinary soy sauces. It is completely Gluten and Kosher free and non-GMO and vegan certified.
- It is significant to note that San-J not only uses natural ingredients but ferment those natural ingredients through the most natural way possible.
- One bottle of San-J Tamari Premium Soy Sauce contains 64 FL. Oz which is more than any other soy sauce you can find in the market.
If you use soy sauce daily and don’t want to keep buying a new bottle every few days, then this special soy sauce might help you.
8. Kecap Manis Sweet Soy Sauce
We’ve talked about the famous soy sauces imported from Japan and China, but the variety of soy sauce doesn’t just end there. Indonesia comes forth with its type of soy sauce that is sweet soy sauce.
- This seasoning is ideal for BBQ, grilled steaks, and fried food. The sweet taste of it is not overwhelming as it has to maintain the property of a soy sauce too.
- One bottle of this sweet sauce contains around 20 fl oz that you can enjoy as you please.
Want a change of flavor for your taste buds? Then look no further as this sweet soy sauce from Indonesia will fit your expectation just right.
9. Best of Thailand – Premium Lite Soy Sauce
Soy Sauce is known to be a cause of breast cancer and high blood pressure if not used in controlled quantity. It is because of the high sodium content in it.
Knowing the facts mentioned above, people avidly look for a soy sauce with low sodium content. Best of Thailand Premium Lite Low Sodium Soy Sauce is the answer to all your searches.
- The ingredients used in this soy sauce are not unusual as they are wheat, salt, soybeans, and several additives and preservatives. It is specially made to bring out the authentic taste of Thailand cuisine.
- You can not only use this soy sauce with already prepared food but also use it to marinate fish, meat, and vegetables. It is a crucial ingredient of traditional Thai stir-fry.
- As we’ve mentioned before that soy sauce is known for its high levels of sodium content, but with this soy sauce, to some extent, it is good for your health. It has high levels of antioxidants that can prevent several cardiovascular diseases.
- It is essential that you know about its enhanced umami taste that brings out the sweetness of good. Many people consider this to be a myth about soy sauces, but Best of Thailand’s Soy sauce proves them wrong.
- Though there are preservatives and additives used to make this sauce, it still contains none MSG and is also Kosher Certified.
Discover a fresh and enhanced taste of Thailand’s fine cuisine with this Soy Sauce.
10. Yamaruku 4 Years Aged Soy Sauce, Tsuru Bisiho
Tsuru Bishio is a manufacturer that strives for longevity in their tastes. The literal meaning for this word is ‘crane condiment.’
- This soy sauce uses old Japanese Kioke wooden barrels to ferment the ingredients of this soy sauce. It is barely used by any manufacturers in the soy sauce industry now.
- The natural and the slow process of fermentation is what gives this sauce its rich, mellow flavor. The ingredients used in this soy sauce are the same as other soy sauces, but the technique is what sets its taste apart. E
- We can only use it as a dressing for savory dishes but also as a topping for desserts and ice creams. Furthermore, we can use it to marinate all kinds of fish, meat, and poultry.
- Many chefs and restaurant use this soy sauce as a secret ingredient in their innovative dishes. One bottle of Tsuru Bishio Soy sauce contains 5 ounces of this flavored seasoning, and therefore it should be used scarcely.
- It is necessary to mention that this soy sauce is aged for around four years before being available for sale in the market.
The unique flavor of this soy sauce is because of its traditional preparation method and the aging process. Once you taste this soy sauce, you will never ask for another!
Keeping health in mind and the necessities of delicious cuisine, soy sauces such as Coconut Aminos and Best of Thailand should be your preferred choice as they have a low sodium content.
But if you are looking for a traditional taste, then the Yamaroku Soy Sauce and Kishibori Shoyu Soy Sauce are the most authentic soy sauces you can find anywhere in the world.
|Disclosure: We may get an affiliate commission when you purchase products via links on our site. Although we may receive compensation, we only offer our 100% honest reviews, experience, and comments. Learn more.|