10 Outdoor Sofas and Buying Guide
Table of Contents
Top Rated Outdoor Sofas
Outdoor Sofas Buying Guide
Adding outdoor sofas to your outdoor space is a perfect way to beautify and enhance your patio, porch, or backyard. Outdoor sofas serve as an extension of the style in your home. They are also long-term investments. So, taking your time before investing in them would be best. However, finding the right outdoor sofas to fit your outer space can be overwhelming. This is because there are so many options to pick from.
Furthermore, finding the ideal outdoor sofa is more than just looks and aesthetics. And in this age where trends are constantly changing, you would need ageless outdoor sofas that will make your outdoor space special and unique. Here is the only guide you need to choose the best outdoor sofas for your outdoor space.
Why You Should Invest in Outdoor Sofas
There are numerous benefits you will enjoy when you invest in outdoor sofas. Here are some of them.
Outdoor Sofas Promote Functionality
You may not consider outdoor sofas essential because you always stay indoors with your loved ones. However, accommodating people can be a little challenging when you have a large gathering. Outdoor sofas solve this issue. Your guests will be more comfortable outdoors. And there will be enough space for people to move around if necessary. So, having an outdoor sofa will help promote functionality.
Being Outdoors Makes You Happier And Healthier
Undoubtedly, being outdoors and enjoying the fresh air will benefit you physically and mentally. Staying outdoors also improves your mood, significantly reduces stress, boosts your immune system, and enhances focus.
And although being active while outside, like exercising or gardening, is ideal, having a place to relax after these activities will make us stay outdoors more than indoors. Outdoor sofas can provide that haven for you and your loved ones. You can also enjoy coffee on your outdoor sofa or read a book every morning. The longer you stay outdoors on your sofa, the better it is for your physical and mental health.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Outdoor Sofas
You should not only place your outdoor sofa buying decision on physical look and aesthetics alone. You need to consider vital factors that will help you make a better-informed decision. Here are some of them.
Know Your Outdoor Layout Type and Available Space
Knowing your outdoor space layout is the first thing you should consider before buying outdoor sofas. To do this, you must first consider the space on your patio and then establish the area’s layout. This will let you determine the number of outdoor sofas you will buy. Also, you have to consider the shape of your outdoor space. For example, do you have a narrow patio, large deck, or grassy area?
The shape of your outdoor space is another essential factor that will help you decide your needs when buying outdoor sofas. You also have to consider how foot traffic will impact the placement of your outdoor sofas. Outdoor Sofas usually take up space. However, if you know the layout of your outdoor space, you will find some that will best suit your space and your needs. So, ensure you understand your outdoor space’s area and surface area before deciding on the type of outdoor sofas you want.
Style: Sectional, Loveseats, or Daybeds?
After you have measured your outdoor space and determined the layout, you next consider the style of outdoor sofas you want. To get you started, here are some of the most common outdoor sofa styles
- Sectionals: if you are having big parties and large gatherings, you should consider getting sectional outdoor sofas. They are incredibly flexible. So, you can use them to create various seating positions to suit the party you want. This implies that you can rearrange or customize your outdoor sectional sofa to suit your needs and tastes.
- Loveseats: if you have a small backyard, porch, or patio, a love seat is your best option. Loveseats are typically two-person sofas that give excellent results and appeal when used with a table and a set of outdoor chairs. Loveseats are also a great option to set up your outdoor space for modest, intimate gatherings.
- Daybeds: Daybed sofas are ideal if you want to lay around, especially during summer afternoons. They will offer you enough space to laze and lounge. Also, some daybeds are readily available with added features like footrests and canopies to significantly increase your comfort. However, you must have an ample outdoor area if you want to go for Daybeds.
Prioritize Fillings Over Aesthetics
One mistake many homeowners make when buying an outdoor sofa is to go for aesthetics while ignoring the fillings that come with their outdoor sofa.
Although it is effortless to get lost in the beauty of your sofa, you must consider the cushion fillings too. This is because you will be using your outdoor sofas for many years. So, you must ensure that your cushion fillings are comfy and durable. Here are the three primary sofa fillings available in the market today.
- Foam: this is a very common sofa filling. It offers a more organized appearance and the firmest support. Form cushions support the body weight when you sit on them. And they will also go back into their original shape immediately when you stand. It doesn’t matter how constantly you use them; foam sofas will always keep their shape. You also do not need to do much regarding their maintenance. However, foam sofas have different densities. The density of a foam sofa will determine how firm it is. So, a foam sofa with a higher density will maintain its shape better than the one with a low density.
- Fiber: Fiber fillings are your go-to if you want your outdoor sofa to envelop you anytime you sit on it. They are made using polyester hollow strands that have been pumped full of air. This makes the sofa wedge and expels air when you sit on it. Fiber sofas provide a relaxed and soft feel. And they are usually lush. However, you must be willing to maintain this sofa if you decide to go for it. This will help to protect its appearance.
- Feather: Feather sofas are comfortable, luxurious, and natural. They are a prevalent choice for people who want outdoor sofas. Feather sofas offer a less structured look than foam sofas. You will sink in when you sit on feather sofas. However, this has its consequences. You would need to regularly turn and plump your feather sofas to maintain their soft texture and rounded look.
Combining all three fillings has become the ideal option for outdoor sofas. If you use feathers alone for your outdoor sofa, they can cluster together. So, it is usually combined with foam to produce a delightful outdoor sofa to sit on. Furthermore, feathers and fibers are combined to create a resilient outdoor sofa.
Only Choose Materials That Suits Your Needs
You must consider the materials you want before buying your outdoor sofas. This will help you know the maintenance needs of your preferred outdoor sofa. Here are some of the popular materials people use for their outdoor sofas.
- Plastic, Aluminum, and PVC: these three outdoor sofa materials are incredibly moveable, rustproof, and affordable. They also do not require much weather treatment. They can be washed anytime with water and soap easily without getting rust or wet.
- Rattan and Wicker: these materials are both natural materials. They will both help to make your outdoor space more appealing and beautiful. Rattan has exceptional versatility and elasticity. It is also lightweight. Wicker is being used to produce textures with the most varying outdoor sofa designs. Homeowners usually prefer these materials because they can absorb different stains and dyes. It is essential to provide extra care for them every two to three years.
- Steel and Wrought Iron: these outdoor sofa materials are incredibly stylish and sturdy. However, they are not durable. This is because they are not weatherproof. So, they will rust. You must ensure you offer complete maintenance and care at intervals if you decide to go for these outdoor sofa materials.
- Wood: natural woods are considered the most appealing material for outdoor sofas. It gives a beautiful look to your outdoor area and makes it the most stunning space in your home. However, you must be ready to maintain and provide special treatment periodically if you want to go for outdoor sofas made with wood.
Ensure you carefully examine these highlighted materials. This will help you know which one you will finally buy for your outdoor space.
Investing in outdoor sofas will make your outdoor space look more inviting and fun. However, there are some crucial factors you have to consider before buying your outdoor sofas. These factors include your outdoor layout, available space, style, cushion fillings, and materials. Considering these factors will help you choose the outdoor sofa that will match your preference and suit your needs. If you follow this guide, you will buy outdoor sofas that you will enjoy for a long time.